Men’s and women’s tennis start strong at weekend tournaments

Senior Andrea Remynse and the No. 5 Bruins will host Saint Mary’s today at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The match will begin UCLA’s dual-match play season.

By Vidur Malik

Members of the UCLA men’s and women’s tennis teams had strong showings at the tournaments they participated in this weekend.

Players from both teams competed in the National Collegiate Tennis Classic, which was held at Palm Springs and ran from Friday to Monday.

Sophomore Warren Hardie and redshirt sophomore Alex Brigham from the men’s team played in the 32-player tournament, and while Hardie lost in the first round 6-2, 7-6, 6-2 to Cal Poly’s Brian McPhee, Brigham advanced to the round of eight before losing 6-3, 7-6 to Jose Hernandez from North Carolina. As a duo, the two made it to the semifinals in the doubles draw where they lost 8-3 to Hernandez and Brennan Boyajian of North Carolina.

The women’s team had four players who participated in the Classic. Sophomore Pamela Montez lost 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 to Baylor’s Diana Nakic in the round of 16, while freshman Courtney Dolehide was eliminated in the round of eight, losing 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2) to Zoe De Bruycker from North Carolina.

While Dolehide made it far into singles play, she teamed up with senior Andrea Remynse to win the doubles tournament. Dolehide and Remynse beat Stanford’s Hilary Barte and Mallory Burdette, the No. 1-ranked doubles team in the tournament, to take the crown. Montez and junior Carling Seguso also played in doubles, losing to Barte and Burdette in the round of eight.

Players from the men’s team also took part in the Sherwood Collegiate Cup, which took place from Friday to Monday at Thousand Oaks. Freshman Adrien Puget, sophomore Maxime Tabatruong, redshirt sophomore Evan Lee, redshirt junior Jeff Gast and senior Holden Seguso all lost in the first round of the 32-player tournament, and senior Amit Inbar and freshmen Daniel Kosakowski and Clay Thompson lost in the round of 16.

The players also participated in the Cup’s doubles draw. Gast and Lee lost in the first round of competition, while the teams of Seguso and Tabatruong, Inbar and Puget and Kosakowski and Thompson all lost in the round of eight.

In the Freeman Memorial Championships, which were held in Las Vegas from Friday to Monday, senior Maya Johansson from the women’s team lost 6-2, 7-5 to Jo Mather of Florida in the first round, while junior McCall Jones advanced to the round of 16 before losing 6-4, 7-6 to Alex Cercone of Florida. They also played in doubles, losing 8-4 to Kaitlyn Christian and Maria Sanchez of USC in the final.

The women’s team begins dual-match play today against St. Mary’s at 1:30 p.m. at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The men play BYU on Friday at 1:30 p.m. at LATC.

Compiled by Vidur Malik, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Vidur Malik