USAC Recap – Jan. 4

By Kate Parkinson-Morgan

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. Council meetings are Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students.

Fund Allocations

• Finance Committee Chair Isaac Rose’s contingency allocations were passed with an unanimous vote of 12-0-0.

Officer Reports

• President Jasmine Hill said she hopes to meet with UC President Mark Yudof in Oakland this February to discuss adding a second student representative to the Investment Advisory Group, the body that makes recommendations to the Finance Committee on how UC should appropriate its money. She hopes the addition of another student representative will increase transparency in the money
    appropriation process.
  • External Vice President Cristopher Santos recapped recent developments in his campaign to support the state DREAM Act. On Jan. 10, the governor will make a proposal regarding financial aid for undocumented students.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Suza Khy spoke of a proposal to convert the current Faculty Center into a conference center. The proposed conference center would be larger than the current Faculty Center and
    include a hotel.
  • General Representative Emily Resnick’s proposal to create a student farmer’s market was approved.
  • General Representative Matt Spring announced that the Student Empowerment panel would inform students on the recent fee increases and the UC Budget. The panel will take place at 6 p.m. in the Northwest Auditorium on Jan. 12.
  • Cultural Affairs Commissioner Kinnery Shah announced the start of an art exhibition for the organization “Study for Shoes” will be on display all this month. Live performances for the organization will take place
    Jan. 6 in Kerckhoff Grand Salon from 6-10 p.m.. All proceeds go toward funding art programs in the L.A. community.
  • Student Welfare Commissioner Linda Phi announced that a blood drive will take place on Jan. 12 and Jan. 14. The blood drive will take place in Ackerman Viewpoint Conference A level.
  • General Representative Gatsby Miller announced that the first UCLA apartment fair would be held Jan. 20 from 11-4 p.m. in the Ackerman second floor lounge. The fair aims to help students transition from life on the Hill to life in apartments.
Kate Parkinson-Morgan