Student actor Kendal Nicole Evans pursues passion in theater industry

First-year theater student Kendal Nicole has appeared in small roles on “Glee” and “No Ordinary Family.”

Courtesy of Kendal Nicole

By marjorie yan

First-year theater student Kendal Nicole performs as Ophelia in Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.”

Courtesy of Kendal Nicole

First-year theater student Kendal Nicole (center) performs in a production of “Guys and Dolls.”

Courtesy of Kendal Nicole

Before first-year student Kendal Nicole Evans began studying musical theater, she worked at the Regency Theater in Agoura Hills at the concession stands. Evans initially saw the job as a way to make money. However, she soon found out that working movie premieres would expose her to parts of the industry she didn’t expect to see from behind the counter of the concession stands.

While Evans, or Kendal Nicole, as she prefers to go by in films, had minor performance roles as a child, it was after later exposure to the industry that she became convinced to pursue a career in acting.

“I’ve been acting in the theater since elementary school but I moved around quite a bit, so I didn’t really get to pursue it until junior high school,” Evans said. “I always felt like I was more of a shy person, but on stage I wasn’t and maybe because there was a script and I knew what was going to happen and I felt more alive on stage.”

Evans said she considers herself lucky to be attending UCLA while still being able to audition regularly for different commercials and TV parts in Los Angeles.

Evans auditions as often as possible, hoping to snag a role that may possibly open up endless opportunities for her. She admitted that when she auditions, she often fears that the director has already made his decision. Evans also said that she has occasionally been given strange assignments at auditions.

“There was a time where I was half an alien and they wanted me to act like I was smoking pot as an alien. It was an improvisation thing. It was kind of on the spot and I thought it would be fun, let’s try this. That was pretty strange,” Evans said.

Evans has been in numerous television shows as a background actress that include “Glee,” “Greek” and “No Ordinary Family.”

“I’ve been auditioning. I’ve auditioned for four or five different commercials. … Hopefully in the next two weeks I find out I’m working for something. I’ll be auditioning in early January for a couple of productions at UCLA, so hopefully I get a job,” Evans said.

Evans will also be featured in “Danger Jane,” a series of online episodes about a young comic book artist. The project was shot last year and was recently picked up by the New York International Film Festival.

Evans’ high school classmate and “Danger Jane” co-star Caroline Smith said that Evans has always brought a positive aura and that she treats her part seriously, whether she’s an extra or a lead.

“The first time I really took notice of Kendal’s talent was when I saw her play Ophelia in “˜Hamlet.’ She fully inhabits all of her characters and is always so believable. Her work ethic is going to take her very far,” Smith said.

While in high school, Evans spent time volunteering and taking part in a program run by Actors for Autism, a non-profit organization aimed towards the training and advancement of those with disabilities with acting classes, animation, film making, vocational training and social activities. The program was recommended to her by a past teacher, Brad Koepenick.

“I suggested Actors for Autism, and I was telling her that as an artist, you need to be socially aware and responsible, and it was a good way for her to take her talents and apply them to something where she could make a difference,” Koepenick said.

Assisting Koepenick during summer camp at Actors for Autism and then starting to volunteer on Saturdays working with children with stop motion and theater, Koepenick saw this as a way for Evans to grow.

“She became more of a global thinker. I think working at Actors for Autism brought a sense of empathy. She’s a compassionate and caring person, so I’ve witnessed her grow into an empathetic, socially responsible artist,” Koepenick said.

With idols that range from Michelle Pfeiffer, Owen Wilson and Leslie Mann, as well as an incredible family support system with a brother majoring in film, Evans said she is trying to take full advantage of her time at UCLA.

“I work at a movie theater, I go to movies, I sing, I dance, I act and I want to be in movies. I get to mingle with all sorts of industry professionals and I just love every moment I have to further myself in my career,” Evans said.

marjorie yan