UCLA Chancellor Gene Block has got the right budget ideas

There’s no need to recap the many changes UCLA has faced in the past year ““ many, seemingly, for the worst. But after meeting with Chancellor Gene Block on Friday, this board is reassured that the administration is realistic about UCLA’s future and is looking for long-term solutions to the budget deficit.

Block’s plans rely on a core assumption: UCLA needs to become more self-sustainable. Despite the election of a liberal governor and changes to the state legislature, Block believes we cannot depend on lawmakers to restore educational funds. The state has its own severe, financial dilemma.

And while academic cuts have been a necessary short-term solution to lost state funds, Block stressed that these drastic measures will prove unsustainable in the long run.

UCLA must adapt and refashion itself in certain areas to remain a high quality institution. Faculty salaries, for instance, must remain competitive with those of other universities to prevent professors from bolting for better pay.

With this in mind, Block outlined five points the university must develop to generate new revenue and stay afloat amid the reality of decreased reliance on the state. While he said tuition increases are not uncalled for, he believes the university has an obligation to explore all other options before it asks students to reach into their pockets. Block’s five points are:

“¢bull; Streamline operations: Lower unit caps and make institutional or academic cuts as needed, with a mind to spread cuts across the board rather than concentrate them in specific areas.

“¢bull; Expand nonresident admission: Increase total enrollment. The additional fees from nonresident students will help offset cuts from the state.

“¢bull; Increase philanthropy: The university is looking for the large checks and hopes to also encourage more alumni to donate a few dollars each year.

“¢bull; Expand UCLA Extension and online courses: Offer more courses in-state and internationally, with an emphasis on practical fields.

“¢bull; Intellectual property: Finding innovative ways to profit from research will help the university pull itself back to its feet.

Though it is too early to tell if Block’s plans will be effective, this board feels the university is moving in the right direction by looking for long-term solutions. The most striking aspect of Block’s plan is his readiness to act. The chancellor is willing to explore new areas and risk failure rather than let the university fall into stagnation.

And though we are always skeptical when it comes to administrative decisions, this board is confident the chancellor is generally making the right ones, given the less-than-ideal hand he was dealt.