USAC Recap ““ Nov. 2

By Cody Geib and Crystal Hsing

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government of UCLA’s undergraduate students. Council meetings are Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students.

Special Presentations

Members of the Campus Retention Committee and the Student Initiated Access Committee within USAC presented a general overview of their services, such as community outreach projects. They also spoke about trends they have seen regarding the types of resources their programs have been able to offer students, given budget cuts.

Funding Allocations

Finance Committee Chair Isaac Rose’s contingency allocations were passed with an unanimous vote of 12-0-0.

Officer Reports

President Jasmine Hill is working to put together a package to present to the UC Board of Regents about how the fee increase has affected students. She is also working with UCLA Transportation & Parking on a plan to give students a discount for daily parking permits and to allow them the option to park in pay-by-space lots for two days instead of just one.

External Vice President Cristopher Santos reported on the Student Vote Coalition’s get-out-the-vote efforts, which included passing out more than 1,500 voter guides. His office also met with leaders of organizations who are invested in fee hikes and budget cuts. Once election results come out, his office is planning to request meetings with the new governor and to address the outcome of Proposition 25.

Academic Affairs Commissioner Suza Khy gave an update on her office’s efforts to support the campaign to save UCLA’s Islamic Studies program.

Financial Supports Commissioner Rustom Birdie reported on numerous projects his office is currently working on, including improvements to ASUCLA’s textbook buyback program, extended Bruinview services for UCLA graduates, a textbook loan library housed in the Student Activities Center and a mentorship program for students preparing for graduate school exams. His office has also worked with the Financial Aid Office to provide a more accurate figure for the average cost of attendance and is supporting the fundraising and awareness efforts of the Improving Dreams, Equality, Access and Success student group.

Facilities Commissioner JC De Vera spoke about his office’s progress on surveying students’ preferences for the use of space on campus. His office is also working on assessing the impact of campus construction.

Agenda

The council approved Budget Review Director Matthew Love’s Undergraduate Students Association/Board of Directors Programming Fund for the fall with a vote of 11-0-1.

Cody Geib