Swim and dive team continues win streak with victories against Idaho and USD

The UCLA swim and dive team continued its undefeated season in Friday’s meet against the Idaho Vandals and the San Diego Toreros, clinching top finishes in nearly every event and shattering four meet records in the process.

Although the result is hardly surprising ““ UCLA holds a 12-0 record against USD and a 2-0 history against Idaho ““ the huge margins of victory (138-93 against Idaho and 140.5-88.5 against USD) reflected a day of strong performances across the board. The Bruins not only took first place in 11 of the meet’s 13 events, but also swept the top three spots in the 1000-yard freestyle, 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard breaststroke.

The afternoon started off on a high note with a meet record-setting performance in the 200 medley relay by the team of sophomore Emily Andelson, senior Brittany Beauchan, sophomore Stephanie Christofferson and freshman Kathryn Murphy, which finished in a time of 1:43.88. Senior Lauren Hall continued the streak with a meet record of 4:52.83 in the 500 free.

Beauchan then broke her second record of the day with a NCAA B-cut time of 1:02.28 in the 100 breast. The competition concluded with the 400 free relay, where freshman Ting Quah, senior Alex Sullivan, senior Cynthia Fascella and Murphy posted a meet record time of 3:28.04.

Highlights of the competition also included several outstanding performances by UCLA divers. Senior standout Karina Silva won both the 1-meter and 3-meter springboard events with NCAA Zone E qualifying scores in both. Senior Laura Winn and freshman Haley McNamara rounded out the top three spots of the day, with Winn taking second on 1-meter and third on 3-meter and McNamara placing second on 3-meter and third on 1-meter.

These strong scores should serve the divers well as they head into the Trojan Invitational on Friday. Meanwhile, the swim team has a two-week break from competition, during which they will focus on preparing for the first real challenges of the season: Arizona State on Nov. 12 and Arizona on Nov. 13.

Compiled by Liz Schneider, Bruin Sports contributor.