Student’s band, Los Einstein, hits the airwaves and L.A. venues

UCLA student Matt Einstein (third from right) poses with his band, Los Einstein, and KROQ’s Stryker (third from left). The band recently released its debut album.

By Michael Palumbo

While it may seem impossible to simultaneously attend college and try to create a band, front liner Matt Einstein looks at the bright side when describing his double life.

“The reaction I get when I tell people I go to UCLA, it’s almost an instant legitimizing factor,” he said.

A fourth-year history student, Einstein has been focusing on writing songs and lead singing for his own band, Los Einstein.

Los Einstein has quickly gained recognition and radio airplay.
The band’s new album, “Can’t Let the Dream Die,” is available on iTunes, its lead single was featured on the radio station KROQ, and the band has performed in popular L.A. venues such as The Viper Room.

All of the band’s original material primarily comes from Einstein and fellow bandmate Chris Vasquez, as they collaborate together to write and record music.

“We usually get together with a guitar and Matt will just start (to) sing. We try to make (the writing process) as organic as possible. Most of what we record is on the spot,” Vasquez said.
Vasquez explained that the band tries to emulate the rock bands its members love and admire.

Mostly inspired by classic rock, the band covers songs that explore politics, relationships and everything in between.
“We write about pretty much anything. We try not to make the lyrics too direct. We want (the songs) to have room for interpretation,” Vasquez said.

One distinct aspect of Los Einstein’s music is its inclusion of a saxophone player.

In “Can’t Let the Dream Die,” saxophonist Kyle O’Donnell is featured in all of the songs and shares improvised solos with Vasquez.

The other band members, whom Einstein found on Craigslist, are full-time professional musicians.

“We’re all really good musicians in our own right, and it makes it a lot of fun. Our music is still mainstream rock, but we keep things interesting and react to each other,” O’Donnell said.

The professional artists chosen by Einstein work cohesively together when creating their music.

“I tried to establish a collective of like-minded artists. The talent is there,” Einstein said.

The band members’ ability to instantly connect enabled them to record their album, “Can’t Let the Dream Die,” all in one day.
The concept behind the album has a different meaning than one might assume.

“It pertains to people in Hollywood who can’t let the dream die, always going to auditions, and trying to make it big in Hollywood, and getting all this plastic surgery,” Einstein said.

While the band works on getting new public representation and has begun recording a second album, one of the band’s main goals is to launch a tour and perform in large venues to gain more recognition.

It is also booked to play at the 2011 South by Southwest Music Festival in Austin, Texas.
“We’re trying to play big events so that we can gain exposure,” Vasquez said.

While the band is heavily promoting its new album, Einstein said that he recognizes that the music industry isn’t what it used to be.

“There’s nothing radical or artistic anymore. I shut my ear off to new music because it’s grown stagnant. People have pushed aside art for monetary benefit … it’s like … throw Rihanna or Timbaland on a track and that’s how you generate a hit,” Einstein said.

Instead of modern pop stars, Einstein and Vasquez are more influenced by classic rock.

Musical aspects of classic rock and funk musicians such as Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles can all be heard in the music that Los Einstein produces.

Vasquez, who attended the Berklee College of Music in Boston, said that each band member contributes something, whether it’s during a recording session or live performance.

“All of us have the opportunity to give a new perspective and dive into what we love. It gives the music a lot of depth,” Vasquez said.

Michael Palumbo