Tennis teams advance far in regional championship

The UCLA men’s and women’s tennis teams concluded play at the 2010 USTA/ITA Regional Championships held at UC Irvine, with several Bruins advancing far into the tournament.

The men’s draw, which began Thursday and ended Monday, saw a Bruin duo take home a championship. Seniors Nick Meister and Amit Inbar defeated Raymond Sarmiento and Steve Johnson of USC 9-7 in the final. Meister and Inbar were the No. 1 seed in the doubles draw, and Sarmiento and Johnson were No. 2. As the doubles champions, Meister and Inbar will compete at the 2010 USTA/ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships in Flushing, N.Y., from Nov. 4-7.

The Bruin men also advanced far into the tournament in individual play. Of the nine Bruins in the individual field, Meister, who was the No. 2 individual seed, No. 8 Inbar, No. 9 freshman Daniel Kosakowski and No. 17 freshman Clay Thompson all advanced to the round of 16 before being eliminated. No. 1 seed Daniel Nguyen from USC beat No. 3 seed Chris Kearney from UC Irvine 6-4, 6-3 to win the individual title.

The women’s tournament, held at the Barnes Tennis Center in San Diego, also featured Bruins making late-round appearances.

Ten UCLA players participated in the individual round, and junior Andrea Remynse, the individual tournament’s No. 2 seed, and freshman Courtney Dolehide, who was unseeded, both made it to the semifinals. No. 4 seed junior Noelle Hickey made it to the round of 16, where she took on her teammate Dolehide. No. 5 seed junior McCall Jones was also eliminated in the round of 16.

There were five UCLA women’s doubles teams as well. The team of Jones and Dolehide advanced to the quarterfinals, as did Hickey and freshman Pamela Montez. The pairs of sophomores Nina Pantic and Carling Seguso, and Remynse and junior Maya Johannson advanced to the round of 16.

Compiled by Vidur Malik, Bruin Sports senior staff.