UCLA men’s soccer team avenges previous loss to Stanford with 1-0 win

By Daniel Khayat

Oct. 15 in Palo Alto, the UCLA men’s soccer team lost a heartbreaker to the Stanford Cardinal.

Oct. 22 at Drake Stadium, the Bruins got their revenge in strikingly similar fashion, winning 1-0.

Sophomore midfielder Evan Raynr scored his second game-winning goal of the season thirty seconds after re-entering the game in the 72nd minute. The Bruins were able to hold onto their lead for the remainder of the match to improve their record to 10-3-1 overall and 5-1-0 in the Pac-10.

“I like thinking of myself; sometimes when I don’t get to start that second half, I try to come in and be a super-sub,” Raynr said. “I can’t say how good it feels. There’s no more satisfying team to beat than Stanford.”

The No. 11 Bruins continued to attack Stanford’s back line even after they put themselves in front. The Cardinal (7-6-0, 3-3-0) had a few opportunities to level the score, but solid play from the UCLA back four and redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Rowe ensured that there would be no late heroics by Stanford this time around.

“We were the team that dominated the game tonight,” UCLA coach Jorge Salcedo said. “Evan Raynr comes in and scores a fantastic goal. His finish was a very good one, and it was very timely as well.”

The Bruins got the victory, but they were unlucky to not win by a greater margin. Freshman forward Reed Williams rattled the crossbar with a towering header in the first half, and junior forward Eder Arreola missed the far post by inches after cutting past two Cardinal defenders late in the second half.

“It was a great play,” Arreola said. “It was unlucky for me to not get the goal. It came out so close, and it would have put us in a great spot to go up 2-0.”

But it was Raynr who stole the show.

After a quiet first half, Raynr re-entered the game after Rowe stopped a Stanford attack in the 72nd minute. Arreola received the ball and laid it off to Raynr, who cut inside the box from the left and fired the ball past Stanford goalkeeper Galen Perkins and straight into the far corner.

“The first time I scored the game-winning goal against (San Diego), I thought, ‘Man, this is a once in a lifetime experience,‘” Raynr said. “And then I come back, get off the bench and thirty seconds later, I just hit the shot of my life.”

Learning on the job

Junior defender Shawn Singh injured himself against California on Oct. 17. Sophomore midfielder Ryan Hollingshead filled in at Singh’s left back position against the Cardinal.

“He did a good job,” Salcedo said. “You can’t learn the position overnight. It takes some time. I thought his heading was very good, he did a good job on the ball, so he did what we needed him to do.”

Daniel Khayat