President Obama to speak at USC

President Obama at USC
11 a.m.
USC's Doheny Memorial Library

By Jonathan Yousefzadeh and Nicholas Greitzer

President Barack Obama will speak at a Move America Forward rally today at the University of Southern California’s Doheny Memorial Library.

With less than two weeks until the 2010 midterm elections, the California Democratic party is bringing in some of the most well-known Democrats to speak on current candidates’ behalf.

“We are really excited because we need more Democrats in office to pursue the president’s agenda and gather more allies in government,” said Patrick Ahrens, the marketing director of Bruin Democrats and a fourth-year political science student.

Ahrens said Bruin Democrats are organizing a carpool to the rally, which will also feature Senator Barbara Boxer and representatives from Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsom’s gubernatorial and lieutenant governor campaigns.

“We had (former) President Bill Clinton (at UCLA) last week and now we have the President of the United States coming to California. It doesn’t get much more high profile than that,” said Tenoch Flores, communications director of the California Democratic Party.

Doors to the event open at 10 a.m. for the public, and the rally is set to begin at 11 a.m.

Jonathan Yousefzadeh