Cultural clubs unintentionally exclude

By Jessica Lee

I peered inside, and a board member subsequently inquired, “Are you here to make an announcement?” I never felt more out of place.
Inconspicuously situating myself in a corner, I noticed 18 other students, all seemingly of Hispanic descent. I was the only Asian and one of four females.

Recently, I published a column on the unfortunate demarcations of race. And in response, I was graciously invited to attend a meeting for Hermanos Unidos, an ethnic group geared toward Latino culture. It was a member’s attempt to convince me that the above club is welcoming to all.

After attending the meeting, I still believe that cultural clubs are inclined to unintentionally exclude people. And although the feeling of prejudice is self-inflicted, this invalid acumen can barricade people from places where they are an extreme minority ““ ethnic student groups included.

My roommate can attest that I was more than a little nervous before the meeting. I was, after all, the columnist who had elicited a very upset, albeit respectful, reply. So before stepping in, when one of the girls outside said, “Oh, so you’re THAT girl,” sans smile, I interpreted that as a harbinger of my ostracism.

While two members went over the club’s agenda, including a social mixer with Hermanas Unidas from other schools (the female version of the predominantly male Hermanos Unidos) and UCLA’s Latin American Student Association, I heard snippets of Spanish, exemplifying the extent of Latin immersion among the members.

Akin to students finding unity with others who share their similar interests by joining student groups, I imagine those of Hermanos Unidos found camaraderie among their ethnically similar peers. And while this association can be a driving force in political activism, the Hermanos also used group identification to urge its members toward community service.

As an Asian female, I was a cultural pariah. However, my perception of exclusion wasn’t fostered by any iota of discrimination from the present members. In fact, the two members I spoke with were more than accommodating and affable.

Of course, I drew polite stares and whispers, but how could I not? I was a strange, international ambush; those who were unaware of the situation surmised I desired membership for myself. Even if the discernment of discrimination is imposed upon oneself by oneself, not by others, I am certain that the various cultural clubs of UCLA instill a comparable emotion in most people.

Frankly, my feelings of segregation stemmed from my lack of experience with Latino culture. For some, the adventure of embracement would be exciting. But personally, in a club primarily focused on integrating Hispanic students with classmates of similar ethnicity, which I ascertained from the club’s propensity to hold social events with only other Latino associations, I felt as though I just didn’t belong. Given the chance, I would love to continue attending Hermanos Unidos meetings because exposure to such novelty is fascinating. The association struck me as an extremely close family, more than a coterie.

As a stranger, I was a clear outsider, beseeching time to tick faster and plant me back in my comfort zone. But familiarizing myself with the members of the club and its culture would alleviate my disquietude and change it to social ease.

Think cultural clubs keep you tied to your roots? E-mail Lee at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Jessica Lee