Tuesday, September 19

Thousands of students attend Democratic rally where Bill Clinton, Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsom speak about importance of education

Students and volunteers show their support for Jerry Brown at the Democratic rally in Dickson Court.

Tiffany Cheng

Newsom promotes, defends plans for educational equality

October 18, 2010 – Former President Bill Clinton joined gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown and Lieutenant Governor hopeful Gavin Newsom at a rally at UCLA on Friday. They tried to drum up support among the 4,000-person audience for a very close midterm race. [0:39]

"Newsom promotes, defends plans for educational equality"

Former President Bill Clinton, along with Jerry Brown, candidate for governor, and Gavin Newsom, candidate for lieutenant governor, lead the Vote 2010 Rally hosted by the California Democratic Party at UCLA on Friday, Oct. 15.

[UPDATED at 9:24 p.m.: After 40 minutes of speeches by Bill Clinton, Jerry Brown and Gavin Newsom, about 4,000 attendees of the California Democratic Party’s Vote 2010 rally at UCLA filed out of Dickson Court.

All three speakers, introduced by Mayor of Los Angeles Antonio Villaraigosa, emphasized the Democratic campaign’s focus on the importance of education in California, which they said differs from Republican goals.

Newsom, a candidate for lieutenant governor, took the podium first, lauded Brown as an experienced candidate with common sense who made the residents of Oakland believe in the political system.

Brown took the microphone next, speaking about how he hopes to make the University of California accessible to all students.

After several introductions by both Brown and Newsom, the crowd gave the loudest cheer of the night for Clinton, who spoke for about 20 minutes. He said Democrats want to give opportunities to all citizens, as well as increase the number of jobs in the technology and green energy industries.

There was little opposition to the event, although one group of students had said they would be organizing a small counter-rally.

The event ended amidst loud cheers from the crowd, and Clinton stayed for about 10 minutes afterward to greet and shake hands with students.

[UPDATED at 8:01 p.m.: Former President Bill Clinton’s motorcade arrived outside of Perloff Hall. Crowds began cheering when he stepped out of his car.]

With less than an hour until Bill Clinton’s arrival at UCLA, students and supporters have lined up past the intramural field with the hope of getting a good view of the the stage.

Tonight’s Democratic rally, which will feature former President Clinton, gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown and lieutenant gubernatorial candidate Gavin Newsom, is being held at Dickson Court.

Thousands of students who have already been admitted to the main area are listening to live music and waiting for the candidates to arrive.

With reports by Sonali Kohli, Farzad Mashhood and Samantha Schaefer, Bruin senior staff.