Bel Air Film Festival will screen films as world premieres

By Josh Wasbin

It’s Thursday. You have options for tonight already lined up. There’s a party on frat row, there’s a cute person on your floor who wanted to grab dinner, your gym buddy who hasn’t seen you since the first week is getting pushy. Well, here’s one thing to add to your list: the Bel Air Film Festival.

Bel Air Film Festival is screening films as world premieres all weekend at the James Bridges Theater, located in UCLA’s own Melnitz Hall.

Bel Air Film Festival President Melody Storm said that one of the highlights of the festival is the comedy night, which will feature a film called “I Am Comic,” starring Sarah Silverman, Kathy Griffin and other comedians.

While the film festival kicks off with its opening celebration at 6 p.m. Oct. 14, the first film, “Katrina Cop in the Superdome,” will be playing for free an hour before that. “Katrina Cop” is a documentary about life inside the Superdome following the flood in 2005, an event incoming UCLA students might be familiar with after reading Dave Egger’s “Zeitoun.”

With regard to tickets, a full pass to the festival (which would include admission to the opening night party as well as access to the panels and parties throughout) would run you $350, tickets to each event are priced closer to watching a movie in a Westwood theater (that is to say, $9″“$16).
Sunday is “Eco-Friendly Family Day,” a free event that, while geared more toward pleasing children, does have free food, complimentary makeovers, music and an animated film that was directed by the same director as the old “Pinky and the Brain” cartoons.
“(The Bel Air Film Festival) is a really great event. … It’s a cultural festival,” Storm said.

Josh Wasbin