Primary robbery suspect Abdul Khan charged

By Alexia Boyarsky

Five of the six men who were arrested in last week’s joint armed robbery and drug-selling operation have been arraigned by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office and are awaiting court dates later this month, said Assistant UCPD Chief Jeff Young.

They appeared in court on Friday, and five of the men were charged with possession for sale of a controlled substance, according to the district attorney’s office.

Charges for the primary suspect in the armed robbery, former UCLA student Abdul Khan, include two counts of residential robbery, a charge of possessing a firearm by a convicted felon, and six counts of possession of a controlled substance, according to the district attorney’s office.

Khan is being held on $620,000 in bail at the Inmate Reception Center, a temporary holding location, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

The second suspect in the armed robbery has not yet been found, although the investigation is ongoing, Young said. The detective currently working on the case could not be reached for comment.

On Wednesday morning, police arrested five men, including one UCLA student and a UCLA alumnus, for selling narcotics out of their apartment on Veteran Avenue.

A search of the apartment revealed a variety of drugs including marijuana, ecstasy, prescription pills, heroine and cocaine, as well as a handgun and a shotgun.

These arrests in turn led to the detainment of Khan, who was the primary suspect in an armed robbery that occurred at 10919 Strathmore Ave. earlier that week.

Khan, along with the second suspect, is accused of entering the apartment brandishing a knife and a semi-automatic firearm, tying up a man and a woman, both UCLA students, and robbing the apartment.

The case has been transferred to the Airport branch of the district attorney’s office, and as of yet no prosecutor has been assigned to the case, said Jane Robison, district attorney’s office spokeswoman.

Alexia Boyarsky