Food Truck Junkie: Komodo delivers international taste

By Joel Kato

The other day, my friend David Weiss, a third-year biochemistry student, pointed out something interesting about the food trucks on campus: On any given day, there is usually one truck that draws influence heavily from some sort of Asian cuisine and another that serves more Americana type cuisine. If you aren’t a big fan of either, then you’re out of luck.

The Komodo truck, which will be at the Court of Sciences on Thursday, offers a solution to this problem. Named after the komodo dragon, which navigates the world using its exceptional sense of taste, they break the traditional food truck formula by not limiting themselves to one or two cuisines. Instead, they take popular dishes from many different countries and conveniently present them in the food truck-friendly form of either a taco or burrito.

While the difference in price for tacos and burritos is not proportional to the difference in size, the two forms cater to different consumers. The tacos, which are $3, are great for trying multiple fillings, while the burritos, which are $8, are better if you’ve visited before and already have a favorite picked out.

While there are tons of great fillings, my personal favorites being the Komodo 2.0 and Fish N’ Grapes, my absolute favorite dish at the Komodo truck does not come in the form of a taco or burrito. Instead, it is one of their few side dishes, which are all available for $5 ““ the Meatballs with Romesco Sauce. About the size of an average jawbreaker, Komodo’s meatballs are a textural delight. The outsides have been charred to perfection, leaving a nice, meaty crust that surrounds the tender, juicy insides. To take the meatballs to the next level, Komodo adds a nice dollop of romesco, a Spanish red bell pepper sauce, which adds a smooth creaminess to the bite. Flavor-wise, the heartiness of the meat is accented with a select few spices, which go well with the smoky sweetness of the sauce.

Overall, the Komodo truck is a delight. You may find yourself tempted (as I was) to try all of their tacos, so it’s a great truck to try with friends. Consider calling a friend who you haven’t seen since last year and swing by the Komodo truck for some uniquely yummy food.

Also be on the lookout for Fishlips Sushi, which will be coming to the Court of Sciences on Wednesday.

Joel Kato