John Cale of The Velvet Underground returns to Los Angeles to perform 'Paris 1919'

“John Cale: When Past & Future Collide ““ Paris 1919 Live”
Thursday, Sept. 30
Royce Hall, $15 UCLA students

On Thursday, Sept. 30, Royce Hall is rewinding back to 1970s ““ this time without the oversized bellbottoms and tacky sideburns. John Cale, original co-founder of The Velvet Underground, will be performing his 1973 solo album, entitled “Paris 1919,” alongside his band and 19 members of the UCLA Philharmonia.

“‘Paris 1919’ is a tuneful but moody collection of songs with lyrics that are rich in poetry and color,” said Neal Stulberg, music director and conductor of the UCLA Philharmonia.

Originally released in 1973, and then re-mastered again in 2006, “Paris 1919” seamlessly threads together the renowned avant-garde style of the 1960s Velvet Underground with classical melodies that are backed by a full-fledged orchestra.

“Cale is a very sophisticated and adventurous musician,” Stulberg said. “He studied classical music and viola as a student in London and has collaborated over the years with various musicians like Lou Reed and La Monte Young.”

Perhaps as fascinating as the man himself is the back-story behind “Paris 1919.”

According to the liner notes, the writing found in the album booklet of the original album, Cale recorded “Paris 1919” while backed by the band Little Feat and members of the UCLA Orchestra, now known as the UCLA Philharmonia. Which would mean that Cale’s performance in Royce Hall this Thursday would bring “Paris 1919” full circle, right back with the very same orchestra that he recorded with in 1973. Not so fast.

Some further investigation by Stulberg revealed that although the liner notes of the album credited the UCLA Orchestra with the accompaniment of Cale, it was actually none other than the crosstown rival Trojans who recorded with him back in 1973.
According to Stulberg, Joel Druckman, a former Trojan and freelance bassist and teacher in Los Angeles, was listed as the contractor for “Paris 1919.”

“(Druckman) explained that at the time he was a student at USC, he recruited his classmates to perform on the album, but the orchestra was listed on the album as the UCLA Orchestra,” said Stulberg.

It remains unclear exactly how such tiny, yet significant, technical error could have occurred, but nonetheless, it makes for quite the serendipitous mix-up. Thirty-seven years later, Druckman will be joining 19 members of UCLA Philharmonia on stage with Cale and his band for what is sure to be a nostalgic performance.

“The UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music encourages students to explore all kinds of music from all periods and styles,” said Stulberg. “This is a wonderful opportunity for our students to participate at the highest levels in the rock genre by working with a veteran rock musician.”

So buckle your seatbelts, Royce Hall ““ you’re about to get a blast from the past.
“The show should be a lot of fun, very high energy, and it shows that UCLA Philharmonia can rock with the best of them,” said Stulberg.

John Cale

Photo Courtesy of MC Goldsmiths