UCLA vocal studies Professor Vladimir Chernov stars in quintet "Nocturnes" with alumni

By Christine Grace Rendon

UCLA Professor Vladimir ChernovNOCTURNES
Sunday, Sept. 26
Zipper Concert Hall, $15 for students

On Sept. 26, music faculty and alumni of UCLA will be featured in the world premier production of the voice and string quintet “Nocturnes.” It will be the first of seven different productions premiering at the Dilijan Chamber Music Series at Zipper Concert Hall in downtown Los Angeles.

“Nocturnes” is an original composition by UCLA’s Ian Krouse, a professor of theory and composition. “Nocturnes” is not only centered off of Armenian poetry but will also be performed in the same language. UCLA alum David Parmeter takes the stage as bassist and expressed his desire to better understand the language.

“It’s a beautiful, very emotional piece … very somber, very tranquil … very fiery passages. The poems are all beautiful ““ I wish I understood Armenian, but I read the English translation. They’re very evocative,” Parmeter said of the upcoming performance.

Not only does the production feature UCLA-affiliated members, but baritone Vladimir Chernov, UCLA professor of vocal studies, takes the main stage as vocalist in this piece that was written specifically for him. Despite Chernovs’ notoriety within the international music community, Chernov said that he had no idea that the composition was written specifically for him.

“I never knew that. After second or third rehearsal … I told him, “˜It’s sensational, it’s so beautiful,'” at which point he was informed the selection was in fact written for his voice, Chernov said.

“I’m very honored. I’m privileged,” Chernov said of the dedicated selection.

“Nocturnes” will also feature UCLA alumna and violinist Searmi Park.

Below: Watch UCLA Professor Vladimir Chernov perform in a 2003 Paris production of Peter Tchaikovsky’s Eugene Onegin.

Christine Grace Rendon