Bringing the pistol to Texas

Redshirt sophomore Johnathan Franklin is a key player in UCLA’s new pistol offense. Franklin started Saturday against Houston because of the injury to Derrick Coleman and rushed for 160 yards and three touchdowns, both career highs.

By Ryan Eshoff

Pistols are about as Texan as Alamos, Cowboys and the Bush family. The legacy of the Old West and its famed gunfighters starts and ends with the Lone Star State, home of such revolver-toting legends as John Wesley Hardin, King Fisher and Johnny Ringo.

The time has come for UCLA to test the merits of its own pistol, a multi-faceted offense that has at times been right on target but has also misfired badly.

After installing the new structure in the offseason, the Bruins’ offensive development thus far has unfolded in true Eastwoodian fashion. Most recently, they piled up 266 yards and four touchdowns on the ground in a win over Houston (the Good). That came after the offense completely sputtered in a shutout against Stanford (the Bad), which came on the heels of a sloppy, mistake-filled performance in the opener against Kansas State (the Ugly).

“There was a point there (against Houston) where it was doing what it was supposed to do,” coach Rick Neuheisel said of the pistol. “We still aren’t there though, consistency-wise.”

Developed and utilized exclusively by University of Nevada head coach Chris Ault and his staff, the pistol was installed by UCLA to improve what had been a mediocre ground game. The Bruins have benefited from a talented and diverse group of backs to load into their pistol. Call it Rushin’ Roulette, with the Bruins hoping that at least one of the ball carriers will emerge as the spark.

Lately, the most piercing bullet has been Johnathan Franklin. The redshirt sophomore gained 60 yards in 13 carries against Kansas State, 73 yards in 11 carries against Stanford, then exploded for 158 yards and three touchdowns in the win over Houston. Franklin was thrust into a larger role against the Cougars after Derrick Coleman suffered a concussion against Stanford.

“We definitely did a good job, but we have a ways to go,” Franklin said. “(The pistol) benefits all the running backs and their styles.”

One new look that the Bruins featured against Houston was the presence of sophomore Damien Thigpen, who moved back to the offensive side of the ball after experimenting as a defensive back. The lightning-quick running back got a pair of productive touches in his first pistol action of the season.

“It provides opportunities for guys to get in space,” Thigpen said. “At the beginning we were struggling with it, but now we’re a well-oiled machine.”

Finding open space, well-oiled machines; if he weren’t talking about the UCLA offense, Thigpen could very well have been talking about the state of Texas, a vast expanse of land that boasts not only an abundant amount of petroleum, but also a certain university with a defense that ranks first in the country against the run this season.

The Longhorns are conceding just 1.47 yards per carry and 44 yards per game. In their most recent win, against Texas Tech, the Longhorns held the Red Raiders to a rushing total of -14 yards.

With the passing game yet to find its mark this season, the Bruins will have to hope that the pistol is able to find and penetrate any weaknesses in the tough Longhorn hide.

“It’s certainly a tough challenge,” Neuheisel said. “They are a very formidable opponent.”

Maybe using their pistol to blast Houston back to the Lone Star State will provide the Bruins with the confidence needed to duel with the Longhorns on their home turf.

One certainty is that UCLA will be the outsider in Texas’s saloon; the Longhorns’ stadium seats more than 100,000, and the game will be broadcast on national television. UCLA will have to be quick on the draw, as falling behind early could hinder their ability to run the ball effectively out of the pistol.

After UCLA defeated Houston, Neuheisel acknowledged that the Bruins chose to huddle after every play to slow down the tempo of the game. But he also praised his team’s ability to play with speed.

“There was a measure of confidence when we took the field, we played fast,” he said. “That’s what we have to do, we have to play fast.”

Turns out Neuheisel may have been channeling his inner Wyatt Earp, who was once asked about the secret to winning a gunfight.
“Take your time,” the legendary gunslinger said, but he wasn’t done.

“Take your time … in a hurry.”

Ryan Eshoff