Frugal fashion tips: make your own acid wash jeans

By Lauren Mackey

Denim never gets old. And considering that it’s basically always summer in Los Angeles, every California girl needs a pair of cute, jean shorts. Plus, Katy Perry is singing about it, so I guess that means we have to live up to our name.

Homemade bleached jeans are a perfect way to get that unique summer look without having to spend much, or any, money. And, better yet, they’re extremely versatile – pair them with a tank top and flip-flops for a casual look, or dress them up with a blazer or leather jacket and flats or boots. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to get your perfect summer shorts:

1. Cut an old pair of jeans into whatever length you prefer or use an existing pair of shorts if you’d like. Cut them long so you have extra room in case you mess up.

2. Bunch your cut jeans into a ball and tie them into place with a rubber band. For a lot of color variation, make the folds intricate. Don’t tie the jeans at all if you want them to be solidly bleached rather than blotchy.

3. Submerge them into a bucket with five parts water to one part bleach. You can add more or less bleach depending on how dark your jeans are and how bleached you want them to look. Keep them in the bucket for one to two hours, or until they reach the desired color.

4. Rinse the shorts with water and throw them in the wash, making sure to wash them alone.

5. After washing and drying them, you can choose to personalize your denim shorts by adding embellishments such as studs, jewels or rhinestones to the pockets, sides or the cuff. You can also use sandpaper to distress the denim to your taste.

6. The ends of the shorts will be frayed after being cut and washed, and they will continue to fray as time goes on. If you prefer a more polished look, cuff the ends and iron them down so the fold stays.

7. Don’t be afraid to experiment! As long as you’re not using your most expensive pair of Citizens, you don’t have much to lose.

Lauren Mackey