Redshirt sophomore running back Johnathan Franklin leads UCLA football to win over Houston Cougars with pistol offense

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Kevin Prince hands the ball off to redshirt sophomore tailback Johnathan Franklin, who led the Bruins in rushing with 26 carries, 158 yards and three touchdowns.

By Eli Smukler

Maya Sugarman

Redshirt sophomore tailback Johnathan Franklin pushes through the Cougar defensive line for a 2-yard rush to the Bruin 22-yard line.

When you’re wandering in the dark, all it takes is a single spark to light the way.

The UCLA football team has definitely needed someone to shed a light on its offense this season. On Saturday night, the Bruins were rewarded with a one-man bonfire.

Redshirt sophomore running back Johnathan Franklin rushed for a career-high 158 yards and three touchdowns to lead UCLA over No. 23 Houston. It was the Bruins’ first victory of the season, but maybe just as importantly their first efficient offensive output.

Franklin is known as the team’s speed back, but he also spun off and busted through Houston’s front line, gaining plenty of extra yards after first contact. When he sprinted into the North end zone in the first quarter, it was the first touchdown the Bruin faithful at the Rose Bowl had seen yet this year after UCLA was shut out 35-0 in its home opener against Stanford.

“Our confidence hasn’t changed from the first week,” Franklin said. “I’m just happy we got a win.”

Coach Rick Neuheisel praised his starting tailback and the leadership he’s brought to the young offense.

“He’s certainly a gifted guy and I think he’s got a lot more big runs in him before it’s all said and done,” Neuheisel said.

It was no secret which of the two teams’ offenses was more highly rated coming into the game. Houston’s spread offense, led by redshirt senior quarterback Case Keenum, was first in the nation in points scored. UCLA had just been blanked at home for the first time in over a decade.

But the Bruins’ new pistol offense was finally firing on Saturday night. Franklin’s 26 carries were balanced by 10 keepers by redshirt sophomore quarterback Kevin Prince, who finished with 64 yards on the ground. Often surprising the Houston defense with his option runs, Prince’s most impressive play of the game may have been a power move that pushed the ball ““ and a Houston defender ““ into the end zone for the team’s second score of the game.

Neuheisel has been forced to defend his decision to use this atypical offensive scheme through the Bruins’ early season struggles. Although he maintained that the passing game still looked less than satisfactory, he praised his players and assistant coaches in his postgame press conference for sticking with the system.

“We worked hard in the offseason to get to a place where we could feel like we knew what we were doing in this offense,” Neuheisel said.

The team’s 266 rushing yards was the most for UCLA since Sept. 22, 2007 against Washington. That game was also the last time a single Bruin topped 150 yards, with Chris Markey netting 193.

Jones Fumbles Opportunity:
With junior running back Derrick Coleman sidelined after sustaining a concussion and neck sprain last week, true freshman Malcolm Jones moved up to take the second-string portion of the night’s rushing duties. Though he shone in UCLA’s first two games, Jones managed just 29 yards on 12 attempts and fumbled the ball away twice.

Franklin, who himself had problems with ball control last season, offered words of advice for his younger teammate during the game.

“I told him I’ve been there,” Franklin said. “We’ve just got to come out Tuesday and work, see why he fumbled, correct the mistakes and get better. He’s a great player. He’s going to be a great running back in the future of UCLA.”

Quick Hits:
UCLA had four 15-yard personal foul penalties in the game. … Redshirt senior kicker Kai Forbath made his only field goal attempt of the game, a 42-yarder that puts him at 76 field goals for his career, just 11 short of the NCAA record. … Prince’s interception at the close of the first half was his fourth of the season, marking the fifth straight game dating back to last season in which he has been picked off. … Rose Bowl attendance: 54,407

Eli Smukler