Brantley Watson: The numbers don’t look good for UCLA football

By Brantley Watson

With the Houston Cougars coming up next for the Bruins, it’s hard not to focus on the statistics coming into the game.

Why?

Because statistically, the two teams are far apart. And when I say “far apart,” I mean on a monumental scale.

Let’s look at some very telling numbers.

First off, after two games, the No. 23 Houston Cougars, led by passing giant Case Keenum, have amassed 1,153 yards. That’s good enough for third in the NCAA.

The Bruins, conversely, have only amassed 546 yards total. That is 111th in the NCAA.

Let me give you another eye-opening stat.

Not only are the Cougars dominating in the passing game, which is their bread-and-butter, they are dominating teams on the ground as well. In the team’s two wins this season, Houston has averaged 347 yards through the air per game, but on the ground, the team has averaged 229.5 yards per game.

Those averages put them at 9th and 23rd in the NCAA, respectively.

It’s pick your poison with these guys.

Then you have the Bruins, who have averaged 115.5 passing yards per game and 172.5 rushing yards per game in their two losses.

Now, the rushing average isn’t too bad, landing them at 51st in the NCAA. But of course, standing at 115th in the NCAA in passing yards per game is a big no-no.

What did you say? More statistics?

Since you asked nicely, sure.

Although the Cougars are averaging nearly 250 rushing yards per game, that’s not the scary part. The UCLA defense is giving up an average of 268 rushing yards per game in their first two games.
Ironically, the real test coming into Saturday’s matchup with the Cougars will be if the Bruins can stop Houston’s running game.

Who would have thought? Keenum is on the brink of becoming the NCAA’s all-time passing yards leader, and we’re talking about the Cougars’ rushing attack. Either Houston has outdone itself on the ground or the Bruins have really underachieved on defense.

More stats!

What about the Bruins offense? Does Houston have a strong defensive unit?

Well, the answer to the second question is no. The Cougars are giving up an average of 26 points per game, landing them 75th in the NCAA.

But the flipside to that is UCLA is only averaging 11 points per game, placing them at 115th in the country. In addition, the Bruins have allowed 33 points per game so far.

The Cougars score an average of 61 points. That’s first in the NCAA.

I just got the chills.

I’ve also got stats for days.

If the Bruins fall to the Cougars Saturday, it will be the first time UCLA has started off a season 0-3 in nearly 40 years, dating back to 1971. And looking at the schedule, realizing that the Bruins will be on the road against No. 6 Texas week four, an 0-4 start is also staring UCLA in the face, which also happened last in 1971.

In reference to the schedule, if the national rankings remained how they currently are, the Bruins will take on seven top-25 opponents in 12 games.

That has to be the toughest schedule in America.

I previously blamed Slick Rick for presenting his team with such a difficult schedule during such a rebuilding year, but now that I look at it, it may not be entirely Rick’s doing.

I mean, out of all the years to go up against Houston, this has to be the worst. When was the last time Houston was considered a football juggernaut?

And who could have predicted that a year after the Pac-10 seemingly took a significant dip in the conference hierarchy, that there would be five Pac-10 teams ranked in the top 25 after week two.

Half of the conference? Stanford is No. 19 after losing Toby Gerhart? Oregon is the fifth best team in the country without Jeremiah Masoli and LeGarrette Blount?

USC is still in the top 20 even with the sanctions and sans Pete Carroll?

I’m starting to think Slick Rick is having some bad luck.

Clearly, numbers have not been kind to UCLA so far this season. But at this point, it’s not numbers that the Bruins should be focused on.

All that matters now is one solitary letter.

Brantley Watson