Extra Points: Four big games could tip season

Junior safety Rahim Moore, who has 13 interceptions during two seasons at UCLA, will have to lead the secondary during the Bruins’ challenging 2010 season.

By Brantley Watson

Brantley Watson
We’re less than a week away from one of the most anticipated seasons in UCLA football history.

Did I go too far with the dramatic effect?

Whether or not I did, big things are expected out of the Bruins this season. Since Rick Neuheisel took over the UCLA program to begin the 2008 season, going 4-8 in his first year, the Bruins’ coach has made significant strides in the recruiting department, as well as drawing attention to the other football team in Los Angeles.

The Bruins no longer want to be the college football version of the Clippers.

But to do that, UCLA has to live up to its lofty expectations. Now that Neuheisel has landed some top talent, in addition to leading the Bruins to a bowl victory last season, the bar is slowly creeping up. The 7-6 mark that UCLA posted last season won’t be good enough this year.

With that said, let’s go through four games on the Bruins’ schedule that I think could tip their season one way or the other.

Saturday at Kansas State: the season opener

This will be the first time in Neuheisel’s tenure as coach that UCLA will be on the road for the season opener. In 2008, the Bruins pulled off an overtime upset of Tennessee at the Rose Bowl, and last season, UCLA walked over San Diego State at home.

It may sound extremely cliche, but it’s important for the Bruins to start off on a positive note, especially with the difficult schedule that lies ahead after they face K-State.

Picking up a good road win to begin the season could prove to be a huge confidence builder for UCLA quarterback Kevin Prince, as well as for many of the underclassmen in the Bruins’ rotation.

But falling below .500 this early in the season could prove disastrous, especially with a recently revived Stanford program on the horizon in week two.

UCLA cannot begin the season with a loss, let alone two.

Sept. 18 v. Houston: the sleeper game

Of course, UCLA will beat Houston.

Now, on to bigger issues … wait, Houston is good now, aren’t they? Don’t they have that Case Keenum guy who throws all the touchdowns?

UCLA fans, I implore you, do not think that this will be an easy win for the Bruins just because Houston is not regarded as a top-tier football school. The Cougars went 10-4 last season and racked up wins against then-No. 5 Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

And if that doesn’t scare you, Keenum should.

Keenum threw for more than 5,500 yards last season and tallied 44 touchdowns. He averaged 405 passing yards per game and completed 70 percent of his passes.

Keenum, with almost 13,000 career yards, is also entering the season just 4,000 passing yards shy of setting the all-time NCAA record. Needless to say, he is an early favorite to compete for the Heisman Trophy.

Think he’s not going to come out gunning?

Memo to Rahim Moore: Start rallying your troops in the secondary now. Keenum is capable of making things ugly.

Oct. 9 at California: the must-win

Yes, I can tell you right now that this is a must-win game for the Bruins.
After the Cal game, the Bruins travel to No. 11 Oregon, before hosting Arizona and No. 24 Oregon State at the Rose Bowl.

This three-game stretch is the toughest during the Bruins’ Pac-10 schedule. They have to face both Oregon schools, as well as a rejuvenated Arizona team that blasted USC last season.

If the Bruins don’t take down the Golden Bears, it’s very likely that UCLA could go on a four-game losing skid. Not to mention the Bruins have to travel to Washington to take on Heisman hopeful Jake Locker and the Huskies in the next game after they face Oregon State.

The ultimate goal is to win every game, but if the Bruins can beat Cal on the road and then pull out more victories in their next three, I would consider that a success.

Dec. 4 v. USC: the big one

If UCLA were 0-11 going into this game and defeated the Trojans, UCLA fans would still consider it a somewhat successful season.

I truly believe that.

That certainly won’t be the case, but the Trojan matchup this year could be crucial if the Bruins haven’t lived up to their potential. If the Bruins aren’t in bowl contention, at least they can prove that the tide in Los Angeles may be shifting with a win over USC.

And what better time to pull off the upset.

The Trojans have had a tumultuous offseason to say the least, they have a brand-new coach, and they’re coming off of a season in which they finally showed vulnerability, going 9-4 in 2009.

Neuheisel can play that cool-guy role if he wants and act like he doesn’t pay attention to all the Trojans’ latest blunders, but he knows that if UCLA beats ‘SC this season, the implications would be huge.

First off, Neuheisel would have a step up on his new USC counterpart Lane Kiffin if he wins the first game of their new rivalry.

Secondly, I have to believe recruiting would shift greatly in the Bruins’ favor if they can beat ‘SC, proving that Kiffin and the Trojans may be rolling downhill.

Season prediction

I’m going to say 6-6. T*he Bruins will regress in Neuheisel’s third year but will still finish the season bowl-eligible. Their schedule, especially early on, may present too many challenges for them to improve on last year’s 7-6 performance.

The Bruins will pick up wins over Kansas State, Stanford, Washington State, Cal, Arizona State and Washington, and lose to Houston, Texas, Oregon, Arizona, Oregon State and USC.

E-mail Watson at [email protected].

Brantley Watson