Dismissed football players commit to new teams

The exodus of the three incoming freshman football players who were arrested on suspicion of theft in June continued as two of the three have landed elsewhere in the Pac-10, while the other is joining a future Pac-10 institution.

On July 22 came news of defensive end Josh Shirley joining the Washington Huskies. Now, it’s defensive back Shaquille Richardson heading to Arizona. The Arizona Daily Star reported Wednesday that Richardson reported to practice and is expected to play for the Wildcats this fall.

Richardson, a Los Alamitos High product, listed Arizona as a possible destination in the recruiting process before signing his letter of intent with UCLA in February.

Paul Richardson, Shaquille Richardson’s cousin, was seen at Colorado’s first practice, and the speculation was confirmed when the university announced late Friday that he had been cleared to start practicing with the team immediately. His father, Paul Richardson Sr., played football at UCLA.

A wide receiver out of Sierra High School in Gardena, Paul Richardson went through a series of interviews with academic and athletic officials before being cleared to play.

Colorado Athletic Director Mike Bohn reportedly spoke with UCLA officials regarding Paul Richardson’s involvement with the incident.

“This is definitely a second chance,” Paul Richardson said in a press release from the school’s Athletic Department.

“I made it to a big-name university. I made a mistake and God has blessed me with another opportunity to redeem myself … so I plan to just put it behind me and learn from it. I’ve moved past it and I’m ready to move forward.”

Compiled by Sam Strong, Bruin Sports senior staff.