Extra Points: Any improvement for football team would be welcome

Kevin Prince changed to No. 4, but has to do more to change UCLA’s record.

FOOTBALL
Fall practice
Today – Aug. 21
Spaulding Field
Check uclabruins.com for times.

The two-week practice period is open to fans and will end with a scrimmage on Aug. 21 at Drake Stadium.

By Brantley Watson

Fall quarter is on the horizon, and that can only mean one thing for UCLA sports fans.

It’s football season.

And with the Bruins starting fall practice today, there are a few questions on my mind going into the season.

Will this be Kevin Prince’s breakout season?

This team’s success will rely heavily on the answer to this question.

The Bruins have lacked consistent productivity in the quarterback department for the past two seasons. In fact, during the 2008 and 2009 campaigns, UCLA’s starting quarterbacks have tallied only 17 touchdowns while throwing 31 interceptions.

Not good.

But on a positive note, Prince has had flashes of greatness. He did march into Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn., and led the Bruins to a huge road win over the Volunteers. And let’s not forget, Prince did it as a redshirt freshman.

Now, the fact that Prince will only be a redshirt sophomore this upcoming season has its positives and negatives. On the positive side, Prince has ample time to be the next great UCLA quarterback.

But the Bruins need him to be great now.

That’s the negative side.

If Prince can pull it off and lead the Bruins to eight wins ““ a one-win improvement from last season ““ he will earn the respect that Bruin fans and coach Rick Neuheisel are so desperate to give him.

Can UCLA challenge USC after the summer of flux the Trojans have had?

I know you’re sick of hearing about the sanctions, as am I.

But the fact is they cannot be overlooked in the least bit.

While the Trojans may not have lost any major pieces because of the recent sanctions, they did lose a big-name recruit in Seantrel Henderson, the No. 1 ranked offensive tackle in the country according to nearly every scouting website.

And in addition to losing a top player, the Trojans lost arguably the best coach in college football when Pete Carroll dashed for the NFL after last season. Taking his place is former USC offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, who has been less than successful since leaving “˜SC.

Kiffin was coach of the Oakland Raiders through the 2007 season, leading the silver and black to a dismal 4-12 record. He was fired in early 2008, only to be awarded the head coaching position at Tennessee, where he coached the Volunteers to an underwhelming 7-6 record before being offered the job to coach the Trojans, the team with which he last saw success.

Now that his previously unsuccessful head coaching tour has landed him in Trojan territory, it will be interesting to see if Kiffin actually has what it takes to be an effective head coach.

And if he can’t, which is highly possible, will Slick Rick be able to take advantage?

Can the Bruins honestly challenge Texas?

It’s the age-old paradox; the heart says yes, but the mind says no.

The preseason polls came out last week and the Longhorns are tabbed as the No. 4 team in the nation.

That doesn’t bode well for the Bruins.

Add in the fact that the Bruins are traveling to Texas. When Longhorns coach Mack Brown appeared on ESPN’s College Football Live recently, he noted that tickets for the Texas-UCLA game have already been sold out.

To put that into perspective, Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium holds more than 100,000 people. That means that a sea of orange will be imploring the Longhorns to take down the only Pac-10 team on Texas’ schedule come Sept. 25.

In addition, it was the Pac-10 ““ soon to be the Pac-12 ““ that gobbled up Colorado from the Big 12.

Well, the Big 12 is Texas’ conference. Think they’ll be out to make a statement?

I think so.

Hopefully, the Bruins will be out to make a statement as well. They are going to need all the motivation they can get to get past the Longhorns.

Are the Bruins a legitimate contender for the Pac-10 crown?

It’s the age-old para ““ wait, I already used that one.

Honestly, in my heart, I believe the Bruins have the chance to pick up some big wins this season in the Pac-10.

UCLA has home games against Stanford, Arizona, No. 22 Oregon State and USC, all teams that defeated the Bruins last season. The Bruins should have a legitimate shot at winning at least two of those games.

But on the flip side, the Bruins face California, Washington and preseason No. 11 Oregon on the road. It’s going to be difficult for UCLA to challenge the Ducks in Eugene, let alone a Husky team starring Jake Locker, who many scouts tout as the nation’s most promising quarterback.

Either a four- or five-win Pac-10 season looks to be in the cards for the Bruins, which would be an improvement from last season. But ultimately, that would only leave UCLA in the middle of the pack yet again.

Brantley Watson