Staying active over the summer

By Sera Park

Remember when you first discovered the freedom of the dining halls? Well, that was your first test of self-control at UCLA.

“People in their late teens, like college students, are making decisions for themselves independently for the first time in their lives. That’s a period in the life cycle that decisions can make an impact in the future,” said Christian Roberts, adjunct assistant physiological science professor and research specialist in cardiovascular health.

Those endless dining hall plates of pasta and burgers can make the path to fitness success a bit more slippery than expected.

“Studies have been shown that the body’s characteristics when they’re teenagers or adults will shape what their health looks like in the future,” Roberts said.

Gaining the notorious “freshman 15″ is an ongoing trend that’s no stranger to colleges nationwide. Overwhelmed students often fall victim to the typical sedentary college lifestyle that accompanies newfound stresses. Naturally, weight gain becomes inevitable without enough attention to diet and exercise.

“The “˜freshman 15′ syndrome can be reversed. Even if you don’t reverse the weight, you can reverse the abnormalities. These are silent symptoms. The only thing you’re going to notice is the body weight. It’s not about being fat. It’s about being active,” Roberts said.

Roberts recommends students allow for an hour of activity a day, or three to five hours of structured exercise per week.

With summer here, Bruins have a little more time to start incorporating exercise into their daily lives, including on-campus options for those in need of a summer school study break.

In addition to gym equipment staples, the Wooden Center’s FITWELL recreation program offers a variety of group exercise classes during the summer. As during the year, popular Group X classes feature fitness options ranging from yoga to high impact spin and aerobics classes for fitness pass holders.

“The name of FITWELL says it all. We’re here to provide fitness and wellness. Not for vanity or just getting a beach body, but promoting healthy lifestyles. Inside and out, mind and body,” said FITWELL consultant Cheryl Licon, a fourth-year political science and environmental studies student.

Free Open Recreation activities at the Wooden Center like swimming, racquet ball, table tennis and basketball are other options for those wary of the weight room.

“Fitness and wellness is a lifestyle. … Attend one class; it’s an hour out of the day. The whole gym experience can seem like hours and hours of burning calories. Don’t make gym time a chore but a positive experience that gets you through the day,” Licon said.

For the outdoorsy type, UCLA Recreation also offers Outdoor Adventures with activities that venture a little further from campus.

Weekend hiking and backpacking excursions to such locales as San Jacinto Peak and Yosemite take students camping away from the urban landscape and into the wild, while shorter day hikes to the Hollywood Sign or full moon night hikes in the local L.A. hills are more local options for adventurous fitness.

For students like Ashley In, a recent graduate in communication studies, outdoor activities are a great alternative to boring, cyclical visits to the gym.

“I hate going to the gym, but I love outdoor activities that give me a workout ““ a workout in disguise. I enjoy activities like swimming, hiking, walking my dog, horseback riding, because I like being active in fun ways,” In said.

Between graduating and searching for jobs, In is also preparing to become more physically active and health-conscious.

“This summer, I’ll be the fittest I’ve ever been. My schedule is more free than ever before and I’ll have a gym buddy back home. I’ve always wanted to make exercise a routine. It gives you energy and boosts your metabolism,” In said.

Sera Park