UCLA baseball puts LSU away 6-3 in NCAA Regionals

Trevor Bauer played the part of virtuoso Saturday night. He got enough powerful solos to complete the performance.

UCLA’s starting right-hander pitched eight masterful innings in leading UCLA to a 6-3 win over LSU in the winner’s bracket of the Los Angeles regional.

Bauer ““ who struck out 11 and didn’t give up a run until the ninth inning ““ was lifted in the final frame after the Tigers scored a pair of runs on a UCLA error and back-to-back doubles. The sophomore received a standing ovation from the 2,613 fans in attendance – UCLA and LSU faithful alike.

In supporting their starter, the UCLA offensive attack was highlighted by solo home runs from Cody Regis, Jeff Gelalich and Dean Espy. Regis drew first blood in the second off of LSU starter Anthony Ranaudo. The Bruins failed to score more than one run in any inning, but still managed to cross the plate six times.

Ranaudo struggled with control for much of the evening, but still recorded strikeouts. The senior was charged with four of the runs.

A night after rallying multiple times in the late innings and eventually defeating UC Irvine on a walk-off, the boys from Baton Rouge tried to make it deja vu all over again. UCLA coach John Savage sent Bauer out to start the ninth as he chased the shutout, but after the first three Tigers reached, UCLA called on closer Dan Klein to shut the door.

Klein needed just four pitches to record three outs and send the Bruin fans ““ in the minority despite playing at home ““ home satisfied.

With the victory, UCLA will await the outcome of Sunday’s first game between LSU and UC Irvine. The loser of that game will be eliminated, while the winner will take on the Bruins in the second game of Sunday’s doubleheader.

Compiled by Ryan Eshoff, Bruin Sports senior staff.