Shakespeare at UCLA shakes up “˜Twelfth Night’

Third-year psychology student Jordan Joske and fourth-year English student Daniel Luedtke star in Shakespeare at UCLA’s production of “Twelfth Night.”

By Corinne Cunard

Bringing Shakespeare back is the goal of Shakespeare at UCLA, the theater group for non-theater-specific students. The group itself is also looking for a comeback, after several quarters out of production, with its lively production of “Twelfth Night.”

“I want the show to say that (Shakespeare) is fun, to bring out the excitement of (his works), because everyone thinks that Shakespeare is something you have to read in high school, and just something you have to do because it is required,” said fourth-year English student Christopher La Monte, the show’s director.

According to La Monte, he hopes to revive the classic group with a newfound appreciation for the spirit of Shakespeare. The show itself will be performed on Saturday and Sunday in the Northwest Auditorium.

“The passion of the cast is really incredible. We practice pretty much every night, and everyone is dedicated to seeing this show happen,” said second-year political science and psychology student Abby Sassoon, who plays the role of Maria.

After two quarters without performances, Shakespeare at UCLA has once again assembled a dedicated and enthusiastic cast with stellar actors who make Shakespeare fun and exciting, La Monte said.

“I’m going to make Shakespeare fun again, and make it interesting and funny even for people who don’t study it as ridiculously as I do,” La Monte said.

“Twelfth Night’s” comic content has characters such as Maria, who cracks jokes that are still funny even hundreds of years later, according to Sassoon.

The show’s fun dynamic has even spread beyond rehearsal, as fourth-year English student Daniel Luedtke admits that he and his co-star Cassie Dunn, a third-year English student, act like rival twins outside of their roles as Sebastian and Viola, the play’s twin siblings.

“I’m putting (the show) in a very 1800s Napoleonic-esque kind of world ““ Jane Austen-like. Basically, the time right before honor and duels … before being able to walk around with a sword went down the drain,” La Monte said.

In addition to revamping the setting from traditional Renaissance times, the show will also feature a variety of music, including artists such as Flogging Molly, to echo the characters’ emotions, according to La Monte.

“You definitely don’t have to be an English major … or a Shakespeare aficionado to really enjoy (“˜Twelfth Night’),” Sassoon said.

While the play itself might appeal to a wider audience with its relevant humor, the Shakespeare at UCLA group also attracts a variety of students.

“This is a way for me to stay involved and still pursue theater … it just lets me keep acting even though I am focusing on different things in school,” Sassoon said.

One of the most important goals of this production is to revive the theater group by carrying on the enthusiasm for Shakespeare into later years, La Monte said.

“After this, we will hopefully get the recognition and hopefully spread the word that Shakespeare at UCLA is back on its feet,” Luedtke said.

With fresh faces participating this year, there are great hopes that Shakespeare at UCLA will continue to bring enthusiasm for the classics, according to Luedtke.

“We are back and really enjoying it ““ I am very confident we will continue on next year, making new shows,” Sassoon said.

Corinne Cunard