Prime | Inside the fashion district

By Lauren Schick

Shalev Netanel
Shalev Netanel

A recession doesn’t just affect jobs and university budgets; it also makes its mark on fashion. It changes the way we shop. L.A. Fashion District has been a bargain-hunter’s paradise for years, but with wallets being squeezed tighter than usual, it has become an asset to the masses. The Fashion District is proof that cheap, trendy fashion does exist beyond the walls of Forever 21. With more than 90 square blocks, the Fashion District can be a little daunting, but with a few pointers and some patience you’ll be able to navigate the deals like a pro.

Sample Sales

Ninth Street and Los Angeles Street

Sample sales usually take place between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. on the last Friday of the month in the wholesale showroom buildings, usually open only to buyers. Sample sales are where designer showrooms sell out-of-season samples at low prices. The four showroom buildings ““ the California Market Center, Gerry Building, The New Mart and Cooper Design Space ““ are conveniently located at the same intersection. You can check each building’s website to see which designer showrooms it features. Note that in most, though not all, clothing is in “sample sizes,” usually sizes 2, 4 and 6, and sample sales often only accept cash.

Santee Alley

between Santee Street and Maple Avenue from about Pico Boulevard to Olympic Boulevard

If you only go to one thing in the Fashion District, go to Santee Alley, even if only for the visual stimulation. The sometimes overwhelmingly crowded corridor feels like an open-air market with lots of tiny inset stores. This is where you’ll find some of the cheapest deals in the area. It is a great place to stock up on basics ““ you can find tank tops, leggings and hats at three for $10, skinny jeans for $9.99, sunglasses for $5 and walls of 99 cent accessories. While many of the stores carry similar items, some stores to keep on your radar for unique tops and dresses are Chocolate, Duet and an unnamed store (common in Santee Alley) located at 144 ½ Santee Alley. Don’t forget to check out the Foot Candy shoe boutique and others for cheap (as little as $10) and trendy heels, boots and flats that you can afford to only wear once.

Tips on shopping in the Fashion District

Haggle. No price is final. You can often get a deal when buying multiple items.

Bring cash. Many places don’t accept credit cards.

Wear layers. Many small shops don’t have dressing rooms, so it’s always good to wear a tank top and leggings under clothes to make for easy trying on.

Get there early. Most shops open around 10 a.m. Metered parking is easiest to find before 10 a.m., and most parking lots charge about $3 before that time but increase up to $10 as the morning progresses.

Be patient. Don’t get discouraged. You will have to dig through a lot of trash to find the treasure, but there are treasures to be found.

Make a plan. The Fashion District’s website has a great map that divides the area into sections such as women’s wear, men’s wear, athletic wear and accessories, making it easier to plan your walking route. But remember that the district is not as concretely divided by category as the map suggests. You may have to do some wandering.

Lauren Schick