ASUCLA hopeful as sales mirror last May’s

By Sean Greene

Associated Students UCLA is cautiously optimistic about improving sales after May’s financial results came close to levels seen this time last year.

Although sales were less than plan by about 11 to 12 percent, they were almost even with fiscal May of last year, said Rich Delia, ASUCLA financial director.

“Last year when we were doing our budgets, we were hoping the economy would improve,” he said.

Since ASUCLA budgets are written a year in advance, the board predicted an improvement in the economic climate by this time and therefore created a more optimistic sales plan, Delia said.

The Hill Top store, left landlocked by construction on the Hill, has seen reduced sales and difficulties with stocking, Delia said in the monthly board of directors meeting. He said sales will be affected there for the next several years.

Although May was strong, there are still things to improve, ASUCLA Executive Director Bob Williams told the board of directors Friday.

By improving the way the store orders its inventory, the association can reduce costs that cut into profits, Delia said.

For example, unsold textbooks must be shipped back to the publisher, which costs money in freight. This reduces the amount of money that can be made on the book, hurting sales figures.

ASUCLA also tries to get the best deals from Apple in order to sell low-priced computers in the store, but as a result, the store doesn’t make a lot of money per computer, Delia said.

The better buying the store can do, he said, the better off the return on sales will be.

One month of positive results does not indicate that ASUCLA sales are coming back, Delia said.

“With what’s happening with the university and the budget cuts, who knows,” he said. “We’ll just have to wait and see. One month is not a trend, but it’s kind of nice to see. Let’s hope it’s a trend.”

Williams mentioned in his report to the board that discussions to raise the value of the campus meal swipe coupon from $1.55 to $1.85, and the association is considering ways to allow students to pick up the coupon on campus instead of at residence hall front desks.

Williams also announced the possibility of uncovering the “The Black Experience” mural, now hidden by a false wall and partially encompassed by Panda Express on Ackerman Student Union’s first floor.

After speaking with the artists, he said he will look into the costs and logistics of moving and restoring the mural.

Sean Greene