A capella groups to face off Friday

Third-year theater student Melinda Porto and second-year ethnomusicology student Taylor Fugit of the ScatterTones will perform along with Random Voices and Bruin Harmony a capella groups during this year’s Spring Sing on Friday, May 14 at Pauley Pavilion at 8 p.m.

By Garisma Kadakia

As the date of Spring Sing inches closer, three of UCLA’s a capella groups are geared up to deliver an enthralling performance, in hopes of walking off with the top honors.

Bruin Harmony, an all-male a cappella group shows its determination and dedication to perform well at this year’s Spring Sing through hours and hours of practice. At this year’s performance students can look forward a more fun and vibrant element of the group’s performance.

“This year (we) have shifted away from making something artistic to something awesome and fun,” said second-year theater student David Crane. “I want people on their feet.”

Bruin Harmony’s performance aims to combine edgy, fun, yet eclectic selections.

“This year’s entire act is different because they are more focused on the overall package instead of tinier details,” said fourth-year international development studies student Stephen Fuller.

Instead of focusing on winning or grabbing the top honors, some Bruin Harmony members said that they hope to deliver a power-packed performance, leaving the audience energized and content.

The co-ed a cappella group ScatterTones has also been deeply involved in the process of rehearsing and dancing for the main event. Fresh from singing backup with Taylor Swift at the American Country Music Awards, ScatterTones is now geared up for an event closer to home.

“The level of talent and acts is greater than ever before,” said Taylor Fugit, a second-year ethnomusicology student and ScatterTones member.

Focusing on their flashy choreography, some of the ScatterTones said they hope to nab the top prize.

“Spring Sing is always something to look forward to because you perform on stage with the best of the best,” said Matt Flesock, a second-year history and geography student.

For Random Voices, UCLA’s all-female a capella group, this year will be the first time they have performed in Spring Sing since 2006.

“We wanted to allow the group to grow to be as cohesive and strong as possible before setting out again for an endeavor like this,” said Elisa Rosenberg, third-year psychology and world arts and cultures student and a member of Random Voices.

Though competing against Bruin Harmony and ScatterTones, both previous Spring Sing winners, Random Voices is not deterred. Having been out of the scene for four years, the group is looking to return to their glory days of winning Spring Sing three consecutive years in the past.

Rosenberg said among Random Voices’ strengths is their musical director, second year music education student Tiffany Ou, who Rosenberg describes as talented with extensive knowledge about music, pitch, sound and group blend.

Rachel Sico, business manager of Random Voices, attributes their success as a group to their shared passion and effort.

Keeping the musical taste of audiences in mind, Random Voices tries to cater to a wide spectrum.

“We definitely keep pop culture and the way it affects our student body in mind when we pick ideas for Spring Sing songs,” Sico said.

Garisma Kadakia