USAC election results bring cheers, tears to supporters on both sides

By Sonali Kohli and Andra Lim

As “Eye of the Tiger” blasted into the air outside Kerckhoff Hall Thursday night, Bruins United supporters wrapped up an 8-clap while Students First! members held each other in anticipation of the announcement of election results.

In the minutes before the 2010-2011 Undergraduate Students Association Council members were revealed, the significance of the outcome was not lost on Matt Abularach, a second-year political science student who campaigned for Students First!.

“This decides the future of the UCLA campus ““ the kind of climate it will have, the leaders and the programs,” Abularach said.

Ellen Hamilton, a third-year history student, was glad she could enjoy the moment after a hard week as campaign manager for General Representative-elect Gatsby Miller,

“Everybody is really happy that campaigning is over because we’re tired of bugging people on Bruin Walk all week, to be honest,” Hamilton said.

Around 10:50 p.m., Students First! candidates made their way hand-in-hand up the stairs while Bruins United candidates led their supporters from Bruin Walk to the grass at the top of Meyerhoff Park, with current General Representatives Addison Huddy and Tak Nguyen at the forefront leading cheers.

As each future councilmember was announced, members of the two main slates screamed, hugged, cried or did all of the above.

Stephanie Lucas was crying in the midst of a Bruins United circle even before she was named internal vice president.

“I’ve seen BU being torn apart two years in a row. These are my friends,” Lucas said after hearing the results, adding that there was immense pressure on her as the only executive member of Bruins United elected. “These are the craziest results I’ve ever seen.”

Matt Spring, a Students First! candidate who was elected general representative, had a flushed face and was short of breath after the results came out.

“I’m speechless right now, having all these supports in Students First!. They’re my family,” Spring said.

The Defend Affirmative Action Party recognized the election’s partisanship as a reason for their defeat.

“I wasn’t expecting to win because our biggest mistake was that we didn’t realize the elections were so party-driven,” said Jose Valenzuela, Defend Affirmative Action Party candidate.

Ramie Milo, a Students First! candidate who lost, said she was disappointed about the results for internal vice president, which she ran for, but proud of her slate’s success.

“With everything that’s happened, it’s good to know people support our visions, our ideals, what Students First! stands for,” Milo said.

Luz Maria Kumpel, Bruins United presidential candidate, also remained optimistic about effecting change despite her loss.

“No time was wasted; this is a journey, this is something that doesn’t stop when you don’t get elected,” Kumpel said. “You don’t need a title to make a change.”

Meanwhile, Students First! supporters listened as presidential victor Jasmine Hill spoke about the triumph of the slate, citing wide student support and love as determining factors.

“I’m overwhelmed, we went through so much, we all deserve to be here tonight … (next year) we’re gonna bring folks together,” Hill said immediately after being named next year’s president.

Contributing reports by Matt Stevens, Shoshee Jau and Flavia Casas, Bruin senior staff.

Sonali Kohli