Is texting the new addictive drug?

By Sarah Mier

Challenge: a class of eighth graders at a New York middle school, 24 hours, no texting. Result: initally severe anxiety, and a serious realization of their dependence on this social medium.

To us mature college students these middle schoolers seem like average, socially absorbed teenagers, but do we have more in common with them than we think? The day I woke up confused about whether I sent a text in my dream, or if I had actually sent it in a half-asleep, groggy state, was the day I realized texting is occupying too large a role in my life.

Texting, which started as an easy means of communication when you can’t call, is now the de facto way we contact people ““ in most cases, it is preferred to actually talking.

Texting makes you feel in touch socially at all times, you don’t have to force yourself out of your comfort zone and it can become like a security blanket. The college students who recently participated in a 24-hour “no text challenge” were experiencing withdrawals ““ it’s like social heroin.

We get antsy in class and literally crave an interesting text that can distract us from some professor who is droning on.

Students our age can definitely find something better to put endless energy toward.

Since when did texting letters rather than words, phrases rather than comprehensible sentences, and shortened acronyms become an acceptable form of communication? We now limit ourselves and thoughts to 160 characters.

Receiving text messages and constantly being in conversation with friends is a strange way our generation, flooded with social networking, feels significant. The “standing awkwardly at a party and texting” scenario feels all too familiar.

I’m tough on the invention, but I, too, fall victim to the addiction.

Over the summer I worked at an overnight camp, where my only real means of contact with the outside world was text messages.

It wasn’t until a camper cracked my screen and I couldn’t read any of the messages I was sent that I realized how reliant I am. I started forwarding my messages to my friend so I could read them. Pretty pathetic, huh?

Few of us can even conceptualize college life for our parents, where an entire dorm floor shared one phone. How could you contact your friends to head to the dining hall or, better yet, contact that someone you met at a party the night before?

The best part about text messaging is the ambiguity.

You have no idea how the person intended the text to be spoken ““ there is no voice intonation, expression ““ nothing. I love reading a text with different attitudes.

For example: “I don’t care, whatever you want to do tonight” could be read as “I really don’t care and genuinely want you to pick because I know you care,” or “I actually don’t even want to hang out, I just don’t know how to blow you off.”

It’s making us lazy: Rather than picking up the phone for a few minutes and clarifying plans, we just choose to send dozens of texts debating an activity.

Instead of contacting a friend you haven’t seen in a while with a phone call to plan something, we just text.

Since we get so many texts, it becomes increasingly easy to not respond to such acquaintances but not feel guilty because we have the justification that “it’s just a text.”

Also, it’s providing a new relationship outlet that extends the anxiety of “are they interested in me?” You can play up either feeling with texting ““ you can show interest, or let someone down easy.

Personally, I think the stress is cluttering our lives. It makes it so much easier to say things you would never say in person.

Whether it is texting way too late at night or starting a fight that is portraying a real emotion via text ““ the distance you have between you and the other person through the phone encourages absurd communication.

Why is there a “do you want to delete this” second notice and not a “are you sure you want to send this”?

Texting does bring some humor to my life. I have a few choice messages in mind that are ridiculous to reflect upon ““ “I’m oytsde/scaed whwer is everyone?” That one’s a classic.

A quick scan of the website “Texts From Last Night” puts the invention into perspective.

It also can be a highly convenient way to check in with friends.

Even as I’m writing this column, I’ve sent and received six texts ““ clearly, I’m not swearing it off or committing to next year’s Lent.

But I do think we should at least give how we use texting some reflection. How much easier is life when you aren’t constantly connected to something?

The times I’ve spent without service on camping trips have been so rewarding and enjoyable. I’m not constantly

connected and it’s an incredibly freeing feeling.

Texting can take up a life of its own if we let it. Everyone uses it a bit differently and you can make it what you want, so take a step back and decide how much of your life you want devoted to it.

Try calling people to make plans or waiting to confront your roommate in person about their pile of dirty dishes. Or don’t, and make it that much more ridiculous by making a point to send cryptic messages.

Either way, taking it less seriously is a wise decision.

E-mail Mier at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Sarah Mier