Students should elect candidates of their choice without involving slates in decision

By Chris Flores

It’s that time of year again. Hordes of light blue and dark blue shirts passing flyers and asking, “Have you voted in the USAC elections?” Countless Facebook statuses saying that their slate is the right slate to vote for. That’s right, my fellow Bruins, the Undergraduate Students Association Council elections are finally here.

You are probably asking yourself, why should I vote in the elections? Like most students on campus, you probably don’t care about any of these slates or what USAC has to offer. In fact, you may be wondering: What has USAC done for me lately?

Let’s face the reality here. USAC really doesn’t do a lot for the student body at times. Some might say that USAC has done things this year like protesting at the University of California Board of Regents meeting and bringing back Night Powell and Covel tutorials.

In reality, they only did that to get your attention, so that they can say they did something to get your vote later on. Like most of you, I don’t care about what Bruins United and Students First! have to say, because they get annoying at times. That feeling usually ends up in people not voting in the elections, leaving your $142 at the hands of other voters. This brings us back to the fundamental question: Why should you vote in the elections? There are three reasons why you should vote:

The first thing to point out is that you give about $140 to USAC every year, and most of us don’t know what the money is used for. By voting, you get a say on how your money should be spent and should the person you vote for win, you can keep them accountable for it.

The second reason why you should vote is that USAC is inefficient and that this should end. In my three years here, I’ve seen both Bruins United and Students First! dominate councils, and none of those councils made significant changes to make the student body actually care about USAC. The only way that this inefficiency can end is by voting for candidates that you believe can get the job done. With a huge field of candidates this year, you have plenty to choose from.

The final reason why you should vote: You, along with every Bruin not associated with a slate, are the silent majority on campus, and you should decide the fate of UCLA. This campus does not belong to either Students First! or Bruins United. It belongs to you and all Bruins out there not associated with the slates. Your ideas and visions for UCLA are more important than what any slate has to offer. Most of you, like myself, are sick and tired of these slates, and it’s a legitimate feeling to have. By voting in the elections, you get to show them that your opinion matters first over anything that they throw at you.

In the end, the reason why you should vote totally depends on you and only you. It shouldn’t involve the slates nor should it involve this article. After all, the key to USAC’s success and UCLA’s future is you, not the slates.

Flores is a third-year political science student.