UCLA gymnastics focuses on the team, not on the competition

By Mansi Sheth

When trying to pinpoint the secret behind their victories this year, “Bruin bubble” was an often-used phrase among the gymnastics team. It was the team’s adherence to the philosophy of focusing only on themselves that helped them win a national championship.

“We told each other that we were just going to have fun today, which is what we have been doing the whole season,” said senior Anna Li. “We brought our Bruin bubble to Florida and that is how we have trained and prepared the entire year.”

Entering the national championship competition seeded No. 1 would intimidate any team trying to live up to high expectations, but UCLA refused to acknowledge the pressure to perform.

“My goal was to just do my normal gymnastics,” sophomore Elyse Hopfner-Hibbs said. “I went out there and tried to live every moment because opportunities like this don’t come very often.”

A commitment to sacrifice

In a sport as physically exhausting and training-intensive as gymnastics, sacrifice became synonymous with success for the Bruins. The team, however, refused to look at this trade-off negatively, considering it a sign of commitment to each other.

“Ever since the first day of preseason, we were united,” junior Niki Tom said. “We came out and finally achieved that one goal we had decided to go after and (our commitment) paid off.”

Coach Valorie Kondos Field believes the Bruins’ cohesiveness stems from the humility of each individual gymnast.

“We had a team of student-athletes and not one of them had an unhealthy ego,” she said. “Everyone was 100 percent (dedicated) to the team. This is the first time I have been able to have some of the most talented student-athletes in the nation who compete without being selfish.”

Satisfaction for Kondos Field

Having coached the gymnastics team to six national championships including a stretch of four titles in five years from 2000 to 2004, Kondos Field believes this year’s win brought her the most satisfaction.

“From a coaching perspective, this win means a lot more to me than the other five did because those came in such quick succession that they were basically like the same big team,” she said. “To build (the program) back up and (win a championship) with a totally different group of people is very rewarding as a coach.”

Beginning of a dynasty?

Looking ahead to next year, the Bruins will return all of their championship team with the exception of Li. Having competed in the all-around for the majority of this year’s competitions, Li’s departure will have a significant impact, especially on the uneven bars.

However, with the majority of the team coming back as well as a number of talented incoming freshman recruits, UCLA looks poised to continue its dominance for at least another season.

“I was thrilled with the messages I got from our freshman who are coming in next year,” Kondos Field said. “They are so pumped up and ready to contribute as a Bruin and continue the legacy.”

Anna Li: no regrets

After competing as a starter for four years, Li ends her collegiate career with a championship ring.

“I couldn’t ask for a better finish to my collegiate career,” she said. “The journey has been so long and I have been through a lot, but ending it by walking out with a ring is just amazing.”

“I walked over to (coach) Val and got really teary-eyed because I just could not believe it is all over. I have absolutely no regrets at all, which is the perfect way to finish.”

Although Li placed second in the all-around on Friday with a 39.575 and seventh in the uneven bars individual event title, her most important memory from the national championship will always be winning the team title.

“It’s so amazing it just doesn’t feel real yet. The trophy is here but it still doesn’t feel real.”

Bruins named All-Americans

UCLA collected 10 All-American honors among five Bruins: Li, Hopfner-Hibbs, sophomore Vanessa Zamarripa, redshirt junior Brittani McCullough, and sophomore Aisha Gerber. Zamarripa led the team with four awards including first team in the all-around. Li ends her career as an eight-time All-American and Gerber received her first All-American recognition as second-team on beam.

Mansi Sheth