Prospective 2010-2011 USAC candidates prepare to campaign for 13 available positions

By Flavia Casas and Shoshee Jau

Around 27 prospective candidates and student spectators attended the Undergraduate Students Association Council candidate orientation on Tuesday, a mandatory meeting for all who wish to run for a position for the 2010-2011 school year.

The meeting was facilitated by the Election Board, which detailed the schedule, procedures and rules of campaigning for the next two weeks. Lotteries took place to determine ballot order, signboard locations and debate order.

A total 13 council positions are available, which include executive positions, department chairs and heads of five campus commissions.

Hector Lucero, Election Board chairman and second-year physiological science student, said it is difficult to make predictions about the election this early. He did, however, comment on the orientation’s early signs of support, enthusiasm and friendly rivalry that is to come in the next couple of weeks.

Lucero said no referenda have been introduced on behalf of the general student body, but USAC can still initiate one.

In the past, USAC candidates have pooled themselves into two groups that share resources and run under similar platforms. These groups, called slates, have divided candidates into two affiliations, Students First! and Bruins United.

In addition to the two traditional slates, students have added a new slate to the ballot: the Defend Affirmative Action Party. Second-year political science student Jose Valenzuela and third-year psychology student Nora Cisneros are the two candidates running under the new slate.

While students have typically ran under particular slates for competitive council positions, independent candidate Carlos Naranjo Jr., a third-year chemistry student, will be running for Facilities commissioner against candidates from both Students First! and Bruins United.

The Community Service, Student Welfare and Campus Events commissioners are running unopposed and are not affiliated with a slate.

During the orientation, candidates signed a Statement of Affirmation, promising to conduct their campaigns in accordance with university policies as well as the USAC constitution and election code.

All campaign materials, such as leaflets, literature and paraphernalia, must be pre-approved by the Election Board, and all expenses must be established by May 3 and submitted to the Board.

In order to demonstrate support for their candidacy, applicants were required to gather a minimum of 75 signatures from registered UCLA undergraduate students.

Prospective candidates must maintain a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA and be free of any disciplinary sanctions that would preclude their participation in university activities, according to the application for candidacy.

Campaigning for council positions will begin April 29, and students will be able to cast votes beginning May 3.

Candidates will present their platforms and answer questions during endorsement hearings April 26-28, and a debate will be held May 1.

Flavia Casas