Chew on This: The Glendon Bar and Kitchen

By Kimberley Wong

Whether it’s dressing up for a night with the girls, a curious exploration of the new, swanky spot in generous proximity to UCLA or engaging in a casual encounter with a handsome new prospect, a delightful little haven by the name of “The Glendon” or, as I have informally dubbed it, “Le Glen-doh-n,” has finally opened.

Lately, I find myself falling into a pleasant relationship with Westwood’s newest bar and kitchen. With its dimly candlelit atmosphere, its dark brown leather upholstered benches, or its plush suede sofa-chairs, The Glendon is reminiscent of Prohibition era meets a more modern and minimalist Upper East Side. With an upscale New York vibe yet a business-casual atmosphere appropriate for the budding college intellectual, The Glendon’s seemingly pretentious exterior is not as stuffy as it may initially appear.

If opening night is any indication of what the future will hold, then we can expect a crowded house of students, yuppies and a slightly older crowd looking for a good time. Closer to the dorms and apartments than Palominos or Napa Valley Grille, though in the same taste as said restaurants, The Glendon brings a much-needed refinement to the west side of Westwood. It is an easy alternative to its rowdy neighbor Westwood Brewing Company or the often claustrophobic Maloney’s.

Catering to Westwood’s classier inhabitants, though a bit pricey for the typical student pocketbook, The Glendon is a great place to mingle and meet, indulge in foodie delicacies, or throw back a few in good company.

Though I have yet to partake in a full dinner, I’ve had the opportunity to taste the refreshingly humorous drinks, from standard mixed drinks of vodka and Red Bull and the gin-tonic variety to signature Glendon cocktails. I tasted my party’s drinks from the surprisingly sweet and sour “Grapefruit Ricky,” to the macho “Fist Pumper” which had a nice pineapple kick to it, to the powerfully intoxicating “Blackberry Agave” (lightweights beware!).

Fun drink names like the “Moscow Mule,” the “Gold Rush” or the “Down Under” tell you something of the hip establishment, as do its witty patrons and one charming and talented executive chef and part owner, clad in plaid while mixing with patrons on opening night.

The menu is also conveniently cheeky with a wine list divided into three “date nights” according to price ““ both romantic and humorously suggestive. Be it sipping upon a seductively-priced $5 martini (one of its strongest selling points) at the shiny copper bar, lounging around a table with a few adventurous cocktails, or munching on tasty garlic fries and the drool-worthy trio of fresh baked cookies, The Glendon is worth spending a few extra bucks on.

Only a few minor notes, to my chagrin, include the loud music which was difficult to talk over, the sometimes slow service, the limited space and the cost of the drinks and food which is not as student friendly as the infamous $4 mixed drinks or $5 pizzas of its competitors.

Yet, The Glendon remains a definite must-visit and returning point for a satisfying soirée or date night as well as for the socialite in me, as I can’t help but feel oh-so “Sex in the City” with a cosmopolitan in hand.

E-mail Wong at [email protected].

Kimberley Wong