Web sites are not as private as one may think

By Nikki Jagerman

Once you’ve uploaded something onto the Internet, it’s public. Deleting content doesn’t magically make it disappear. Whether it’s archived in a Web site’s backup files or saved onto someone else’s page or computer, you’re not in control of who sees the things you’ve posted or where they might show up again.

While most of us might consider this common knowledge, it doesn’t stop people from posting things they’ll probably later regret. Just because people feel that they can hide behind the safety of their computer, that doesn’t necessarily mean that their actions on the Internet will not have consequences.

When I received an e-mail on March 3 from Chancellor Gene Block, I was borderline impressed that it included a link to a YouTube video instead of a written message. The e-mail was titled “Acts of intolerance have no place at UCLA” and read, “Please take a moment to view my message … in response to recent disrespectful behavior at several UC campuses. Please know that I will do all I can to prevent such activities at UCLA.”

The video was of the chancellor speaking about the recent racial discrimination cases at several University of California campuses and urged UCLA students to think about how their words and actions affect others. All in all, a nice, timely message.

Then I scrolled down to the “Comments” section.

Wow, guys. I was pretty shocked to see how many people had written that they didn’t like how the video was executed.

It’s like the people who left comments didn’t realize that they were putting our school’s chancellor on blast on a public forum that could easily be linked back to them.

Now, I know you’re probably asking, “Who cares if people know who e-heckled his speech?” My answer to that is going to be, “Regardless, not a good look.”

Not only did most of the comments have negative things to say, most of them had nothing to do with the chancellor’s speech. You have to give his office credit for trying to use new media to reach out to its students. The video gave the message a face and a voice, and I commend the effort.

However, the bigger issue remains that people don’t feel the need to take responsibility for the things they post on the Internet. I recently encountered this problem with Facebook.

While I do not have a Facebook account, just about everyone I know does. When my photos or information get posted by someone else, I generally know within hours because someone else will tell me about it. This normally isn’t a big deal because I’m typically in bed before midnight and shop by the phrase “modest is hottest.”

Last month, despite being boring, I found that someone had been posting rude comments about me on Facebook. Like I wouldn’t know about it because I don’t have a profile. But no, I did hear about it immediately despite how Amish I am. When I told this person I’d seen it because it was on a public forum, they replied that it was their Facebook, so, you know, free-for-all.

But actions on social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter do have consequences aside from embarrassing confrontations.

In Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities under “Sharing Your Content and Information,” a fancy team of lawyers does warn users that by loading pictures and videos you give Facebook permission, subject to privacy and application settings, a worldwide license to any intellectual property content.

A person that doesn’t have access to your page may still be able to see conversations on other users’ walls. Even after you delete content, Facebook warns that it is still available in backup copies and that Facebook takes no responsibility for what others may do with your information.

Viral content is public information. Even if you set your various online accounts to private, they still remain the property of that Web site. The users of these new technological platforms must learn to use discretion when posting content to the Internet because the things they load could come back to haunt them later.

E-mail Jagerman at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Nikki Jagerman