Drugs that are legal are just as sweet

By Kia Makarechi

To speak in generalities, college is a time for experimentation ““ with drugs, the opposite, same or sort-of-same sex, and the myriad of lifestyle decisions that ultimately comprise the epic “experience” old men whisper about to their grandsons leaving for university.

When it comes to experiencing the everyday reality in different ways, however, there’s more to college than weed.

Students looking to join the long-standing tradition of collegiate and recreational drug usage should look past Westwood’s neon pot-leaves and ornamental bubblers passed around at apartment parties.

A few legal alternatives make for simple fun for those times when marijuana bores or is not available (or when using illegal substances doesn’t seem like the best idea).

It’s definitely not a drug, but miracle berries are always an easy fix for a boring night. The African berry has set off a “flavor tripping” craze: Pop one in your mouth and anything you eat tastes sweet ““ including Guinness (which some say tastes like chocolate milk), sliced lemons and lime juice.

The berries have been around for ages, and the United States Army and Navy studied the fruit in the ’70s, but it has enjoyed a resurgence as of late (partly because the Internet has made ordering them from retailers so much easier).

The miracle berry contains a natural protein called miraculin that binds sugar molecules to the tongue. When any acidic foods enter the mouth, the sugar molecules are pushed down onto the sweetness receptors.

The fruit is often found in tablet form nowadays and is available for packs of 10 or 20 tablets (each person only requires one tablet for a 20 to 30 minute “trip”) for about $15 to $25, respectively. Usage is simple: Experimenters pop a tab, let it absorb into their tongue, try a grapefruit and try to keep their minds from exploding.

At a recent magic berry birthday party I attended, a fourth-year international development studies student described the experience as one that “would drive (him) to suicide if the changes didn’t go away.” Others reported a numbness and/or tingly sensations on their lips as the berries’ effects wore off, while still more just sat and silently downed limes like they were gummy bears.

But magic berries are not really a weed “alternative.” There is, however, a mind-altering plant substance that you can buy in Westwood without any drug licenses: salvia.

The drug, still legal in California, is available at local smoke shops ($40 for a disc that is good for at least a few bowls), and the drug is used in a manner similar to marijuana (a bubbler, bong, piece or rolled joint can be used).

Salvia comes from the plant salvia divinorum, and it produces hallucinogenic bursts that can last as short as 10 to 15 minutes or as long as an hour.

The plant was just made illegal this past weekend in Wisconsin, where new legislation makes the production, sale or distribution of the active ingredient in salvia unlawful.

Salvia is notably more intense than weed, and anyone who elects to try it should be accordingly prepared and have someone sober with them. Any mind-altering substance can potentially have complications, and any drug that is smoked can physically affect one’s lungs, at the very least.

The Department of Justice and Drug Enforcement Administration sum up the salvia high as consisting of “perceptions of bright lights, vivid colors and shapes, as well as body movements and body or object distortions … dysphoria, uncontrolled laughter, a sense of loss of body, overlapping realities, and hallucinations (seeing objects that are not present).”

“Adverse physical effects,” the report notes, “may include incoordination, dizziness and slurred speech.”

One third-year linguistics student (students consulted for this column wished to not be identified by name given the stigmas associated with “drug” use, legal or not) tells me that he saw a zoo full of animals at his feet.

An East Asian studies alumnus felt as though his chair shot straight into the air after his first hit; fourth-year Spanish student saw conveyer belts; and his fourth-year computer science and engineering friend saw gummy bears building a village on his head.

Though salvia and miracle berries are ultimately worlds apart in classification and effects, both provide an interesting way to pass an evening with friends.

E-mail Makarechi at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Kia Makarechi