Open debate is key in animal rights issue

SUBMITTED BY: Cameron Gundersen

In recent years, a number of scientists who use animals in biomedical research, including our own colleagues at UCLA, have been subjects of harassment and violent attacks by those opposed to this type of investigation.

As an effort to initiate dialogue that might lead to an open discussion of critical issues concerning the use of animals in biomedical research, a forum was held at UCLA in mid-February that presented arguments in favor of and against vertebrate animal research.

The panel discussion served to identify areas where factual and philosophical disagreements exist, but there was uniform agreement that the intimidation and harassment of scientists and their families has no place in this debate.

For their efforts in initiating this public dialogue, the two groups organizing this event, Bruins for Animals and Pro-test for Science, are to be commended.

Indeed, a crucial feature of the academic environment is the opportunity to espouse diametrically opposed views and to strive to reach agreement on matters based on the preponderance of the facts.

Academic freedom, the freedom to participate openly in these debates, is one of the pillars of higher education throughout the world.

Scientists and academics are expected to advance knowledge and understanding by studying issues and using approaches that may arouse intense passions.

Obvious examples include the debates about the death penalty, abortion, Israel and the Palestinians, immigration policy and animal research.

There is no question that the efforts of the “animal rights” activists have led to substantial improvement in the treatment of vertebrate animals that are used for biomedical research.

Indeed, strict federal and state laws, as well as National Institutes of Health guidelines, stipulate what can and cannot be done with research animals, and UCLA scientists comply with these regulations.

For those who disagree with the use of animals in research, we strongly urge the use of nonviolent social and political means to achieve the desired goals.

Gunderson is a professor of pharmacology and chair of the UCLA Academic Senate’s Committee on Academic Freedom.