UCLA students should be wary of UC-wide racial strife to bar such clashes

SUBMITTED BY: Maritza Santillán

Students at UCLA should be well aware that the race-related events that occurred at UC San Diego and UC Irvine are not acceptable. These events demonstrate a lack of sensitivity, which should be essential on all campuses. Although we are quick to judge how these acts are central only to these campuses, it seems to be a matter of time before these acts occur on other campuses.

It was just three years ago that a similar party was hosted on this campus. Pi Kappa Alpha hosted their party on Jan. 26, 2007, titled “Fiesta Friday”. Not only was this a culturally insensitive party, but it showed extreme ignorance in making fun of the social conditions of the people living along the Mexico/U.S. border and the conditions of their nation that have made them rely on selling trinkets to make a living.

There is a serious problem in the University of California system. This plague of ignorance needs to be exterminated by prioritizing diversity. Chancellor Block has set the standard for what the ideal UCLA student, or “True Bruin” should look like. A “True Bruin” demonstrates integrity, excellence, accountability, respect and service. It is time for UCLA to actually put these values in action and serve as an example for the rest of the UCs by supporting the students at UCSD and UCI, and by making a statement that such acts are intolerable on any campus.

Santillán is an English and world literature student and chair of MEChA de UCLA.