UCLA women’s basketball makes a comeback to beat Oregon Ducks, 91-75

By Brantley Watson

The UCLA women’s basketball team extended its recent win streak to six with a 91-75 comeback victory over the Oregon Ducks Saturday afternoon in Eugene.

In the second half, the Bruins trailed 66-50 with 14 minutes left to play, but from that point on, it was all UCLA. The Bruins stormed back, using a 23-2 run to regain the lead, which they never relinquished.

Spearheading the Bruin comeback was sophomore guard Jasmine Dixon, who had her best game of the season statistically, scoring 31 points and pulling down 20 rebounds. After the game, Dixon, who had 15 points and nine rebounds in the first half, said that she was unhappy with her performance on the defensive side of the ball and knew she had to make it up on the offensive end of the court.

“I had to pick it up because I was lacking on defense a lot in the first half,” Dixon said. “So I definitely had to pick it up on the offensive end, and in the second half, my defense kicked in.”

In addition to Dixon’s monumental effort, junior guard Doreena Campbell and senior guard Erica Tukiainen also picked it up on offense, scoring 19 and 13 points, respectively.

Besides the Bruins now having won six straight, they have also won 10 out of their last 11 and seven conference road games. Saturday’s win also helped UCLA complete its third road sweep in the Pac-10 on the season, as the Bruins defeated the Arizona, Washington and Oregon schools all away from Pauley Pavilion.

Next up, the Bruins will host Arizona State Thursday at 7 p.m. and Arizona next Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

Brantley Watson