Football’s cornerbacks coach Lake leaves UCLA

Lake
Former coach

By Farzad Mashhood

Carnell Lake, UCLA football’s cornerbacks coach, announced his resignation Monday. The assistant has been with the Bruins since January 2009 and is leaving the team due to family reasons, coach Rick Neuheisel said in a press release.

“Carnell did a great job coaching our cornerbacks last season and will always be remembered as a great Bruin,” Neuheisel said in the statement. “Carnell is also a great father, and he felt this was in the best interest of his family. We wish him all the best in the future and know he will still be involved in our program as a proud alum.”

Lake, who went to high school nearby in Culver City, is a former All-American at UCLA as a three-year starting outside linebacker and All-Pro cornerback and safety in the NFL.

“I want to thank coach Neuheisel for the opportunity he presented to me, and I want to thank the members of the staff for allowing me to work with them the past year,” Lake said in the release. “I truly enjoyed my time working with the fine young men on our team. I will always be a supporter and fan of the UCLA program. I believe Rick has the ability to steer this program in the right direction.”

Lake led a Bruin pass defense that was 28th in the nation and second in the Pac-10, allowing just 191 yards per game.

Lake’s resignation comes less than three weeks after college football’s signing day when the Bruins signed four defensive backs.

Compiled by Farzad Mashhood, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Farzad Mashhood