Chancellor faces demands from Lawyers Guild to cease police violence

By Parisa Mahdad

The UCLA School of Law chapter of the National Lawyers Guild presented the chancellor’s office with a letter on Monday demanding an end to police violence against non-violent protesters. The chapter said it was prompted by the UC Board of Regents protests in November.

The guild organized a speak out event in front of Kerckhoff Hall on Monday afternoon, when undergraduate and graduate students, along with faculty members, spoke about their encounters with the police during the regents protests.

Maria Elena Cortez, a field representative of the UC-American Federation of Teachers, said the letter was also meant to protect demonstrators from police abuse on March 4 during the statewide day of action for all California public schools. At UCLA, more specifically, the demonstrations on March 4 will address budget cuts, fee increases, employee layoffs and furlough days, Cortez said.

The group delivered the letter to the Office of the Chancellor in Murphy Hall, demanding an end to police violations of demonstrators’ rights to nonviolently protest. The group also said they demanded a meeting with Chancellor Gene Block to discuss any past abuse and future protests. Michael Olsson, director of space management and analysis, took the letter and said he would convey the message to the chancellor, who was not in his office.

The group hopes to receive a response from Block soon. Block was unaware of the letter and said he could not comment on it as of Monday morning.

According to a statement released by university police after the regents meeting, UCPD conducted a routine review of the enforcement used during the protests in which students and faculty could file complaints about what they saw. The report, which is in its final stages, will be submitted to Block along with a separate analysis completed by a committee appointed by Block.

“Campus leaders remain committed to ensuring an environment in which both free speech and public safety are protected,” the statement read. “It is important to remember that activities inside and outside the regents meeting involved tense situations, including protestors throwing objects at officers, blocking public roadways and surrounding vehicles.”

During the event, Alejandra Cruz, a third-year law student, emphasized the repression she faced during her participation in the protests.

“(Police) used Tasers, batons … as a means to silence students during the protests,” Cruz said. “We want a public university that is more affordable and accessible for all students.”

Compiled by Parisa Mahdad, Bruin contributor.

Parisa Mahdad