Toyota recall includes fuel-efficient Zipcars at UCLA and other universities

By Nicholas Greitzer

With the massive recall of Toyota vehicles last week and the power-steering problems now experienced by Toyota Corolla owners, millions of drivers have been affected by the defects that have surfaced throughout Toyota’s vehicle line-up.

After concerns over “sticky” accelerators and brakes, Toyota Motor Corporation recalled more than 437,000 Lexus hybrid and Toyota Prius models on Feb. 8, adding to the more than 10 million vehicles the company has recalled worldwide since the fall.

On campus, however, the major outcome of the recall has centered on the Zipcars that UCLA rents through the Boston-based vehicle-sharing company.

The company aims to curb university campus congestion by providing reserved parking and fuel-efficient vehicles for faculty, staff and, depending on the university, insured students who are older than 18 or 21.

According to Zipcar spokeswoman Nancy Scott Lyon, the concerns should be minimal, as the 2010 Prius represents just 1 percent of the entire Zipcar fleet.

Of the fleet, UCLA uses a sole recalled Toyota Prius, which is currently being fixed and certified. The car is scheduled to be back on campus today.

Zipcar also had two recalled Toyota Matrix vehicles fixed and certified last week. Both are currently back on the roads adjacent to UCLA.

The immediate action by Zipcar comes after an announcement last week mandating that no reservations for Prius cars be permitted until Toyota has effectively dealt with the brake problem.

While the brake problem is being dealt with by Zipcar, some students have remained unaffected by the problems that led to the recall.

“I have a Prius and I have had none of the problems with brakes or accelerator sticking, or even the mats, although I got a letter saying they would replace them,” said third-year English student June Dowad, referencing past recalls. “I am still confident and happy with my Prius.”

Nevertheless, Dowad claims that bumps in L.A. roads often cause her indicator light to signal traction problems.

“I come from England, and I have driven cars where you must double-clutch, ride the brakes and generally “˜baby’ the engine,” Dowad said.

“The thing with today’s drivers of cars that are fully automatic and electronic is that young drivers don’t know what to do when things go wrong.”

In order to combat the problem, dealerships are reinforcing the vehicle pedals with precision-cut steel bars, which requires many to take on additional employees and open their service centers 24 hours per day in order to get drivers back on the road.

For now, though, it appears that Toyota’s problems are compounding, as the U.S. Congress has summoned Toyota President Akio Toyoda to testify and let American drivers know whether it is still safe to drive the company’s vehicles.

“Thus far, customer reaction has been very, very positive,” said Jim Lentz, president and chief operating officer of Toyota Motor Sales, USA, in a video statement. “They’re very anxious, in some cases, to get their repairs done, but they’re very understanding and they’re loyal Toyota customers, and they’re very happy to start the process.”

Nicholas Greitzer