Sexuality Health and Gender Day encourages increased awareness for sexual health

By Angela Mujukian

What if the condom broke?

Questions like this will be addressed and more information will be available today at SHAG’d, Sexuality Health and Gender Day.

Many UCLA students are not aware of the resources available to them on campus, leading the Campus Awareness Committee to develop a fair to raise awareness for sexual health and promote safe sex practices.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council’s general representative 1 office, internal vice president’s office and the Student Welfare Commission teamed up to host the event.

“The purpose of the event is to inform students and let them know where to go for information about STI testing, what to do when a condom breaks, birth control pills and basically to highlight the Ashe Center because most people don’t know where to go to check if instances like these happen,” said Joshua Rusow, director of campus awareness for USAC.

Student transgender health coverage was recently passed in 2009 by the Student Health Advisory Committee at UCLA. UCLA now covers hormone therapy (testosterone or estrogen), consultations and sex reassignment surgery for students.

“We want to inform students about the different options available to them on campus,” said Jason Tengco, general representative 1 for USAC.

Sex therapists, rapid HIV testing, the Ashe Center and Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Campus Resource Center will be at the event to provide resources to students, and USAC will be giving out free condoms, lubes and dental dams to highlight safe sex practices.

Giftbags, contests, games and prizes will also be available to students who come out to the event.

A rapid HIV testing truck will be parked in Bruin Plaza and will test students anonymously. All students are highly encouraged to be tested since it will only take 20 minutes to receive their HIV status and will be given incentives like mini-lunches and refreshments, Rusow said. Representatives from the Ashe Center will be available to talk about what they do on a daily basis for students. The Ashe Center will provide information about different health services and insurances offered to students.

“Any sex information is going to benefit anyone that practices sexual acts and highlight interesting information (for all students) including gay, lesbian, and transgender students,” said Rusow.

Two licensed sex therapists in the area will be available for individual sessions to answer any questions students might have.

“Health sexuality is not really talked about among students, and it is an issue that’s not addressed at UCLA as much, and it’s a topic that’s probably stigmatized, and that’s why we chose to have this event to make students aware of student health and getting regular check-ups,” said Lucy Wu, student welfare commissioner.

Angela Mujukian