A 26 Hour Marathon

Dancers stay on their feet for 26 hours at the ninth annual Dance Marathon.

By Kimberly Lajcik

On Feb. 13-14, more than 800 students danced for 26 hours in Dance Marathon, which benefits the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, Project Kindle and One Heartland.

The organizations fund research on pediatric AIDS and work with children affected by the virus. In the course of its nine-year history, the fundraiser has raised over $2.1 million.

Speaks Out

Hundreds of participants filled Ackerman Grand Ballroom for Dance Marathon, Feb. 13-14, and danced for 26 hours to fundraise for research to help fight pediatric AIDS.

Luz Maria Kumpel

Third-year psychobiology student

“At the beginning of a shift the moralers all run in. … It sort of reinvigorates the dancers and keeps their energy up. … Once we communicate what their role is going to be, they get really excited.”

Karen Leon

Second-year international development studies, political science student

“It’s pretty fun. I mean it’s exhausting, but if you are having fun with your friends and you think about the cause it doesn’t matter.”

Kelly Egeck

Mother of a dancer

“I”˜m moraling to help support my child, Alexa Egeck, but to also give back. … So far everyone is very friendly.”

Kimberly Lajcik