Weekend review: Los Lobos

By Christopher Robinson

Just when you thought you knew what to expect from a Los Lobos concert ““ loosely played rock ‘n’ roll, Tex-Mex, norteño-style ballads ““ they go and start playing classic Disney tunes. Performing two shows on Saturday at Royce Hall, the three-time Grammy award-winning Mexican-American rock band from East Los Angeles showed just why they are one of the most consistently entertaining and arresting bands of the last three decades, deftly navigating a set list of Los Lobos originals, covers of classic Disney songs, rock ‘n’ roll and Spanish standards.

Los Lobos is known for making surprising career choices and stylistic changes from album to album, keeping fans guessing at every turn. Few could have predicted that the band was gutsy enough to embrace Disney classics for an album of covers, “Los Lobos Goes Disney.” Little did I know that the band was not just cashing in on a profitable idea, but that they actually had the confidence to spend the first half of Saturday night’s set playing those covers.

In fact, I was so taken aback when I heard the opening whistles of “Heigh-ho” from “Snow White” that I sat for a moment in puzzled wonderment. But, a few Disney classics later, the band had awoken my inner child. Memories of my father singing “The Bare Necessities” danced through my head as I sang along to tongue-twisting lyrics such as “don’t pick the prickly pear by the paw when you pick a pear.”

Needless to say, the first half of the concert was a love-it or hate-it affair, as intermission found many die-hard fans grumbling and wanting something a bit more substantial than “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.”

I was still helplessly humming the Haunted Mansion’s theme song, “Grim Grinning Ghosts,” when the band returned from intermission for the crowd-pleasing second half, which was split evenly between covers and original Los Lobos’ tunes.

After crying out loudly following nearly every song, one fan was granted his wish to hear “Anselma,” and he danced in the aisles as the band expertly played the bouncy, upbeat number. The crowd cheered and clapped along, following as front man David Hidalgo belted out the sing-along chorus of “Ay Anselma, Anselma, Anselma!”

Immediately following the joyous celebration of “Anselma” was the sweet swagger of the standard “Volver, Volver,” a song by Vicente Fernández whose romantic sweep rivals that of the “Lady and the Tramp” love-scene ballad, “Bella Notte.”

The band truly let loose in the encore as it tore through a rollicking version of The Who’s “My Generation,” effortlessly blending into the band’s chart-topping version of Ritchie Valens’ “La Bamba.” With the crowd finally on its feet, the band played loose and loud with the confidence you would expect from a band who has opened for the likes of Bob Dylan, The Clash and U2.

Mirroring the multifaceted culture of Los Angeles, Los Lobos’ music is a mix of both traditional Mexican folk styles and rock ‘n’ roll energy, but the music truly hinges on creating and celebrating diversity and community. The band’s 1993 compilation album may be titled differently, but Los Lobos is certainly not just another band from East Los Angeles. They are our band, and Saturday night gave us the chance to celebrate not just Los Lobos, but Los Angeles.

Overall, the Disney nostalgia certainly didn’t hurt.

““ Christopher Robinson

E-mail Robinson at [email protected].

Christopher Robinson