Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UCLA alumnus Aleem Hossein creates police thriller Web series “Central Division”

By Cristina Moreno

A dark deserted parking structure. Two cops. A body in a trunk. In a little more than 10 minutes, UCLA alumnus Aleem Hossain is able to pack in more twists and turns than most TV shows have in a whole hour.

Hossain, who received his master’s in fine arts in 2004, is the writer and director of “Central Division,” a dark crime Web drama, which premiered its first season in November, and focuses on two partners. With only four episodes, ranging from two to four minutes long, it does not take “Central Division” long to make an impact on its viewers.

Hossain, whose crew is made up of UCLA alumni, described “Central Division” as his labor of love.

The season starts with two cops who have been partners for 12 years, talking about intelligence, Serbians and elephants with really good memories.

Although the episodes are short, the fast pace and cinematography of “Central Division” all lend to its realism.

The show, which Hossain described as in the same vein as “The Shield” or “The Wire,” was developed in part as a result of many of his favorite crime shows going off the air.

“The idea just happened last spring. I am a big fan of cop shows ““ dark, gritty ones,” Hossain said. “(Now) a lot of the cop shows on TV are shows like “˜CSI.'”

“Central Division” has also been well-received by critics and weblogs alike, including TubeFilter News and Dauntless Media.

“I wasn’t sure if I put it out what would happen,” Hossain said.

“I don’t ever make a film for a response, but it’s awesome to get a good response.”

He said he credits part of his success to the fact that his series is Web-based.

“The whole point of the Internet is that it is a place for shows that wouldn’t … have an audience on TV,” Hossain said.

He said he believes the Internet is an essential resource for filmmakers, especially for new filmmakers like other UCLA film and television students who are just starting out.

“The Internet offers something unique and special to filmmakers. It’s a place where small filmmakers starting out can create something and have it potentially be seen by lots of people,” Hossain said.

“YouTube allows you to get the full learning experience. … (It lets) you put it out there and see how the audience responds.”

Just like Hossain, many other UCLA film and television students are looking toward the Internet as a new, innovative way to get their work out to the masses, both easily and effectively.

“The Internet can be a really helpful tool because it’s such a big part of students’ life. Our generation is centered around technology,” said Nina Raj, a second-year film student.

“We depend on the Internet for things like information, social networking, and we’re on it so often. Rather than putting something on TV, it’s better to put it online,” she added.

Film and television alumnus Josue Zeta Rojas said he agrees.

“It’s good to see an alum from UCLA taking it to that level and taking advantage of different mediums. … (The Internet) is another tool to develop, to create, another outlet,” Rojas said.

“It needs to be exploited to its fullest potential,” he added.

As for Hossain, he’s looking toward the future, outside of the Internet.

“My main goal this year is trying to work on a low-budget film … something small and low budget,” he said.

Cristina Moreno