Editorial: USAC must make itself relevant, not just visible

In early 2008, Gabe Rose, then president of UCLA’s undergraduate student governing council, spoke these words to the other councilmembers: “I think we grossly overstate the importance of what we do in these meetings.”

Candid and unguarded as the remark was, it seems Rose’s sincere speech has echoed down to a mere murmur in the council’s ethereal meeting chamber in Kerckhoff Hall. This much, at least, is true: Addison Huddy was not present for and has never heard that quote from Rose.

The general representative is bringing to fruition the first major action of 2010’s USAC crop, throwing some $800 in funding at a project that will film all of the council’s weekly meetings and broadcast edited segments via the Internet for students to view.

This board wishes to congratulate and applaud Huddy on his transparency crusade, but we would also like to point out some problems in his plan that seem a bit, well, transparent.

First, the entire concept stands in direct opposition to what Rose said two years ago, and while he is not alone in his miscalculation of self-worth, Huddy’s plans imply, depressingly, that endemic problems of overstated importance have prevailed over wisdom such as Rose’s. But to say this is to suggest that USAC and the actions of its members are meaningless. That’s not what we’re trying to say.

Our undergraduate student government is, in fact, very important, but only when it accomplishes things. Aside from Huddy’s planned video program there is scarcely a single productive measure we can chalk up to this year’s council and its ideas.

Thus far, the academic year has seen increased student fees, budget cuts, and the resurgence of Night Powell, which does not yet have the means to be sustained beyond this year, but we see no action from our student leaders.

These proposed video summaries will not complete the quest for increased student engagement; a lack of council action has left students without a reason to demand such transparency.

Considering the state of our university, its standing in this state’s list of priorities, and the challenges that continue to overwhelm our student population, the occasion is upon us for meaningful, productive leadership.

We are disappointed that the task of recording and reporting meetings has been left to the workings of two individuals, both from the Huddy’s office.

We are also concerned by what appears to be the complete complacency of other members of the council toward what would seem to be an obvious opportunity for bias and conflict of interest, in the editing of meeting footage.

But most of all we are waiting for a council that shows a presence on campus bigger than the sign boards displayed on Bruin walk during election season.