Nothing beats a little intramural competition

By Brantley Watson

Forget about Rick Neuheisel.

Who needs Ben Howland?

Come late tonight, January 27, 2010, there are only two names that you need to know.

Cru2 and Barely Legal Little Leaguers.

And for those of you who are completely lost at this point: No, those are not the names of people; they’re the names of two teams. Two good teams. Two good UCLA intramural basketball teams.

I know what you’re thinking … who cares, right?

Ah, but not so fast. Allow me to explain the magnitude of tonight’s ballgame taking place in SAC at 10 p.m. Cru2, the defending Independent A league intramural champions, will be pitted against Barely Legal Little Leaguers, the defending runner-ups who lost by three to Cru in last year’s Independent A finale.

That’s right, it’s a rematch of last year’s final, equivalent to a wrestling match between Slick Rick and Big Ben: Bruins will be divided.

Okay, enough with the shameless plugs. The real issue at hand is the excitement that intramural sports generates among UCLA students and fans alike. For instance, if by chance you attended the intramural basketball final last year, you would have seen that Cru, a title short for Campus Crusade for Christ, had a cheering section of at least 20 people holding a big banner that read … well, I can’t remember what it said, but you get the point.

Cru2 has a loyal fan base at their games.

And if you followed Barely Legal Little Leaguers last year, which at the time was named the Ballers, you would have seen UCLA guard Spencer Soo sitting in the bleachers on several different occasions, cheering on his pal Eric Berman, who has since graduated.

And while Soo is not as recognizable as say, a Darren Collison, he is still probably one of the most popular guys on Howland’s team, and has been for awhile.

Point is, intramural sports are at an all-time high in popularity. I can’t count on two hands and two feet how many times someone came up to me in the gym recently and asked, “Are you playing intramurals?”

And just last week, barely before the season started, the new common phrase ringing in and out of my ears was, “Hey Brantley, I heard you’ve got a good team.”

Did I forget to mention I play for Barely Legal Little Leaguers?

Oops.

And that my fellow assistant sports editor Ryan Eshoff plays for Cru2?

“To hell with Battle of the Columnists, I’ll see you on the court!” Watson said.

“Bring it on,” Eshoff countered. “Bring it on.”

Anyway, prior to this useless tangent, what I was saying was that intramural sports have turned into somewhat of a separate community. It’s amazing how quickly knowledge travels through the this community.

And to say that people take these contests seriously is more than an understatement. In fact, it’s a bold-faced lie.

People take it uber-seriously.

Why, just a week ago, I came to the gym an hour and a half before my game just to scout Cru2.

They’re good.

And last year, when my team, Cash Money, lost in the semifinals, to none other than the Ballers, I couldn’t stop thinking about it for at least a week.

Earlier this year, during intramural flag football season, I can’t tell you how many potential altercations I witnessed and was involved in. I mean, I wouldn’t consider myself a confrontational person, but when it comes to sports, I’ll mix it up with anybody.

Hmmmm … maybe that makes me confrontational.

Anyhow, if you get the chance, even if it isn’t tonight in SAC, stop by Pauley Pavilion or the Wooden Center around 9 p.m. and take a gander at what’s going on. Take a listen to the scattered batches of fans, mostly girls, rooting for their friends or boyfriends every time they score a bucket.

And if you really are into basketball, you may want to come check out Cru2 versus Barely Legal Little Leaguers. I’m not one to toot my horn, but it should be a hell of a game.

With my team winning … toot toot!

If you are wondering where the name “˜Barely Legal Little Leaguers’ came from, e-mail Watson at [email protected].

Brantley Watson